Finally a warm day, with Michelle.

babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited April 2, 2013 in People
It was finally a nice and warm day in Atlanta!
My girlfriend and I didn't miss this chance, and went on a nice picnic at the park.
The clouds were great in letting us get some shade, and the skies opened up several times for few captures!

Any C&C is welcome!
I used LR4 for basic exposure corrections, slightly warmer color, and cropping, followed by CS6 for cloning/spot corrections.
I don't know how to use CS6 too well, so I only rely on it for content-aware :dunno

8611714727_48907e1681_b.jpg

8612820618_34ea55552a_b.jpg

8612821558_d3a64aa229_b.jpg

8611717177_2a79a4086f_b.jpg

8612823324_95912490c0_b.jpg

8611718731_793bc480ee_b.jpg

Everything was taken with 85 1.4D on a D800 with no extra light sources.
I had to test out the 85, after micro adjust... and I'll say that it was worthwhile!
BTW, I don't know if it's user-error, but the 85 wasn't stellar at nailing focus, every time. Usually further the distance, the worse it got (especially wide open). So, I opted to stop down a little more and shot a few at f2, f2.8, f4, and so on... But boy does it improve sharpness! (maybe accuracy, too?)

Maybe I'll lug my 70-200 one of these days, and compare... but that's going to be awhile!
-Mike Jin
D800
16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
It never gets easier, you just get better.

Comments

• Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    I like them but my only nit would be that they look a tad soft. How is the D800 going for you though??
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    I like them but my only nit would be that they look a tad soft. How is the D800 going for you though??

Could you let me know which ones?
    There were some LoCA that may've attributed to the apparent softness.

The D800 outputs some gigantic files, but it's manageable.. I use JPEG+RAW for quicker culling, instead of accessing each 40-50mb files.

Are you using the D800 too?
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    It may be the compression of a large file onto here, but all of them her face looks soft.

I am not using the D800. I am on the fence with looking to upgrade to a D600 or 800
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    My nitpick is it looks like you took the pictures while standing. The settings and the exposure look good but your angle is too high.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    How come all the ugly guys get the gorgeous girls?????????? Just teasing!!!!!

Look at how chunky her behind is on 1 then look at two........what is the difference.......In #1 her weight is on the front foot which makes the chunkiness ( is that a word) and on #2 her weight is where it should be on the back foot.

Look at the overall effect in the first 5 shots as opposed to the last one. That bright walkway really pulls you eye away and makes the overall exposure look funny.
    Over all some good exposures however the bkg is too bright for my liking and takes away from the subject.

Watch out for giving her only one arm in most, just looks odd to me but all of these comments are personal tastes so take what you want.

#6 cropped just below her front elbow to me could be a really awesome keeper.

Its really hard to see all of what needs to be seen while creating a portrait but you have to try and take your time and evaluate that viewfinder. Good stuff just keep on doing it.
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Hmm.. I picked the sharper of the set.. :/

That makes sense, about the perspective.. She is a bit shorter than me, I didn't think about that.

So, does a chunkier butt look better? Or less chunky? You know... There are the elect few that love a nice, chunky butt! Haha ne_nau.gif
    I didn't think about the background brightness when I was editing.. The exposure bumps must've taken it a step too far...

I'll try another go at background editing and the crop!

Thank you guys for all the C&C, I'm just absorbing everything like a sponge!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    How come all the ugly guys get the gorgeous girls?????????? Just teasing!!!!!

Look at how chunky her behind is on 1 then look at two........what is the difference.......In #1 her weight is on the front foot which makes the chunkiness ( is that a word) and on #2 her weight is where it should be on the back foot.

Look at the overall effect in the first 5 shots as opposed to the last one. That bright walkway really pulls you eye away and makes the overall exposure look funny.
    Over all some good exposures however the bkg is too bright for my liking and takes away from the subject.

Watch out for giving her only one arm in most, just looks odd to me but all of these comments are personal tastes so take what you want.

#6 cropped just below her front elbow to me could be a really awesome keeper.

Its really hard to see all of what needs to be seen while creating a portrait but you have to try and take your time and evaluate that viewfinder. Good stuff just keep on doing it.

Got to disagree on 1 and 2. Theres more definition and curves. I would bet most women would like the look of 1 over 2 unless they have a really big behind. The ones I have worked with like the exaggerated look.