Options

Meta Data not included

jwcoffeejwcoffee Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 4, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
It is my understanding that if I upload an image to SmugMug that includes meta data (such as copyright info, perhaps geo info, title, description, etc.) that the meta data does not follow the image.

So, if someone downloads the image, or copies the image, there is no meta data. Of primary concern to me is that the copyright info is lost. The image becomes an "out in the wild" image...with no way to trace it back to it's photographer.

I have for several years now been placing a copyright mark on my uploaded images.

Am I alone feeling that meta data should follow the image?

Respectfully
Jim Coffee
Photographer, Panographer
James Coffee Studios
Escondido, CA

Comments

• Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2013
    SmugMug does not strip metadata from your images when they're uploaded to SmugMug. We preserve all the metadata that's included in the file, and we even write metadata into the smaller display copies of each image you upload as well. When someone downloads a photo from a gallery, it will contain the same metadata you added to the image before you initially uploaded it.

If you're not seeing metadata in your images you've uploaded to SmugMug, there may be something in your editing workflow that's removing that metadata. I found your site, and I tried downloading a few photos (I tried downloading the full-res file, and also saving display copies), and for the photos I tested, I still see your copyright data in the image metadata for the downloaded images.

If you're not seeing metadata in images you're downloading from your account, please drop us a line at the helpdesk, and send us a link to the photo(s) in question, and also let us know a little more about your editing and uploading workflow, and we'll be happy to help.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2013
    rnrjosh wrote: »
    SmugMug does not strip metadata from your images when they're uploaded to SmugMug. We preserve all the metadata that's included in the file, and we even write metadata into the smaller display copies of each image you upload as well. When someone downloads a photo from a gallery, it will contain the same metadata you added to the image before you initially uploaded it.

If you're not seeing metadata in your images you've uploaded to SmugMug, there may be something in your editing workflow that's removing that metadata. I found your site, and I tried downloading a few photos (I tried downloading the full-res file, and also saving display copies), and for the photos I tested, I still see your copyright data in the image metadata for the downloaded images.

If you're not seeing metadata in images you're downloading from your account, please drop us a line at the helpdesk, and send us a link to the photo(s) in question, and also let us know a little more about your editing and uploading workflow, and we'll be happy to help.

If you replace an imagine by reuploading and say replace duplicates then the new metedata is not placed with the image the existing data is kept.
  • Options
    jwcoffeejwcoffee Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    Josh and David...

Thanks for you response. I am so pleased that SmugMug is now keeping meta data with the images.

In 2011 a did deal with this issue with SmugMug Support and I was told that "the meta data was too heavy" and that it was stripped out. Since then this has been an issue festering under my skin, so to speak.

So, thanks for your response...and thanks for no longer stripping meta data. I'll test again from my end and I'm sure that I'll find you are correct.
    Jim Coffee
    Photographer, Panographer
    James Coffee Studios
    Escondido, CA