Options

Fluked out and landed my self a shoot with a professional Biker

isdillyisdilly Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited April 5, 2013 in Sports
Hey guys,

Last month, while I was in Chiang Mai, Thailand I fluked out and landed my self a photo shoot with professional rider Steve Romaniuk. He was at my hostel and needed a photographer, looking to promote his biggest sponsor Vampt. Not only promote the sponsor, we were also looking for shots that could tell a bit of the story of biking in Chiang Mai (much more visibile through out the album).

The only gear (at the time) I had suitable for shooting was a Nikon D300s and a 50mm 1.4. I had the Sigma 18-200mm with me as well, but the aperture on that lens was to small to give me the light needed for a shutter speed fast enough. Leaving me with the trouble of trying to shoot high speed action on a fixed 50mm. Not so fun, however the Sigma isn't sharp enough for the intended photo applications anyways!

I have a gallery of 30 or so photos available on my smugmug from the day of shooting. But it would be great if I could get your thoughts on these shots. It was my first, but definitely not my last time shooting biking. And as always, I'm looking to improve!

DSC_0905-L.jpg

DSC_0924-L.jpg

DSC_0615-L.jpg
Travel writer/photographer. Please leave comments and Share my work, it helps me improve!
Smugmug-DylanWyerPhotography.smugmug.com
Tumblr-dylanwyerphotography.tumblr.com
Website-Capturingendlesstravel.com

Comments

• Options
    bluesman grahambluesman graham Registered Users Posts: 254 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2013
    Hi Dylan,
    congrats on picking up the gig!.

I haven't shot or competed in Downhill M Bking for a very long time!( 3 to 4" of travel on the bikes was really Pro stuff!!), but with your permission I've recropped a couple of images as I'd like to see them?. good luck with the project. Kind regards Graham

DSC_0905-L_zps61bd0b0d.jpg

#2 To me needed the faller in focus to work!

DSC_0615-L_zpscf094c05.jpg
    Graham.

C&C most welcome

Nikon D3s,D3, D2hs x2 Nikkor 70-200 2.8, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikkor AF-SII 300 2.8, Nikkor 1.4 & 1.7 converters etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesmangraham/
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2013
    Dig the refocus on number 1! I don't think I cropped that shot at all originally.

#2 I wish at a 1.4 aperture I could have the depth of field to get them both in focus, but I had to go with the hopes of him nailing the hit and not falling when manually focusing the shot. Was a bit bummed when I saw him blurred! But for steves sake, it makes him pop a little more... Maybe this shot?

28392760_qNPgjg#!i=2404668552&k=S3CFVSJ&lb=1&s=A]DSC_0920-L.jpg[/url]

#3 took these close ups on the helmet for a less artsy view. Thoughts?

url=http://dylanwyerphotography.smugmug.com/Other/RomoVampt/28392760_qNPgjg#!i=2404665347&k=ghkLJQG&lb=1&s=A]DSC_0592-L.jpg[/url]

Ps. These days, 4-6 inches of travel on bikes is no big deal. Steve Romaniuk is a big name rider, but since the shoot is all the way in Thailand, we were Rodin on old beat rental kona stinkys!
    Travel writer/photographer. Please leave comments and Share my work, it helps me improve!
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2013
    On second look I find the crop on #1 loses the feel of speed in the rider, as the banked corner and some dust is cropped out. Thoughts??
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2013
    isdilly wrote: »
    On second look I find the crop on #1 loses the feel of speed in the rider, as the banked corner and some dust is cropped out. Thoughts??

I like the crop better. The photo doesn't convey much speed either way because the shutter speed is too high so the spokes and tires are frozen.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    Appreciate the thoughts! I'll be keeping this in mind!
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2013
    Way rad! I've been watching Steve since he was a junior! Congrats on the gig, he seems like a great guy.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2013
    He is a great guy! A super easy guy to work with. Stay tuned at Capturingendlesstravel.com for a full story on how the photo shoot came up and went down! Should have it finished in a few days :D