Options

SmugMug Update From Baldy

1151617181921»

Comments

• Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    Baldy wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't aware of this issue before we went live and it has taken me awhile to mostly understand it. A wedding pro wrote into the heroes saying she had printed 800 handouts that had an URL with /wedding in it and we produced a 404 page unless it was /Wedding. Ouch.

I think we have a 99.9% use case solution in the works, which is to redirect when no conflict with one of our system pages is detected, which is what we do on SmugMug Legacy today. That will fix the case, for example, of the wedding pro's handouts.

What's less obvious to me is what to do on system pages SmugMug uses today, such as /signup and /pro. I am aware of a use case where a pro printed collateral with /signup on it and was surprised to find out it went to our signup form. I think with the solution we're working on, we can avoid 99.9% of the use cases we're seeing, but for system pages like /signup I'm not aware that we have figured out a solution (this is the part of the problem that's not new; it has existed on legacy for years too).

We're really sorry for the problems this has been causing in the meantime.

Just tried a few and looks like maybe this has been fixed for categories that have one word (i.e., /events auto-redirected to /Events without me changing anything, when this used to not be the case a couple of months ago, but /local-events would not goto /Local-Events for example).
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    jhelms wrote: »
    Just tried a few and looks like maybe this has been fixed for categories that have one word (i.e., /events auto-redirected to /Events without me changing anything, when this used to not be the case a couple of months ago, but /local-events would not goto /Local-Events for example).
    Custom urls remain case sensitive. The change we made only applies to the first letter of a custom url. If there is no system page by the same url, we'll redirect to the user folder, gallery or page. So to go with your example:
    /local-Events
    would go to:
    /Local-Events

If you don't want an upper case E in your custom url, you would need to change that in the settings for that folder, gallery or page to a lower case e like this:
    Local-events
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    Custom urls remain case sensitive. The change we made only applies to the first letter of a custom url. If there is no system page by the same url, we'll redirect to the user folder, gallery or page. So to go with your example:
    /local-Events
    would go to:
    /Local-Events

If you don't want an upper case E in your custom url, you would need to change that in the settings for that folder, gallery or page to a lower case e like this:
    Local-events

In your example, that doesn't work for me.

eg.

http://www.meljones.info/galleries
    http://www.meljones.info/Galleries
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2014
    DanCarl97 wrote: »
    In your example, that doesn't work for me.

eg.

http://www.meljones.info/galleries
    http://www.meljones.info/Galleries
    That's because your custom url is somehow set to galleries which is usually reserved to system pages. It appears to be something specific to the one folder and must have been somehow carried over from Legacy SmugMug. This will not apply to future folders, pages or galleries you create on SmugMug.
    Any new folders, pages or galleries you create should require a capital first letter and what I've written before should apply.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    That's because your custom url is somehow set to galleries which is usually reserved to system pages. It appears to be something specific to the one folder and must have been somehow carried over from Legacy SmugMug. This will not apply to future folders, pages or galleries you create on SmugMug.
    Any new folders, pages or galleries you create should require a capital first letter and what I've written before should apply.

Ah, I see. I had tried my news page which again took me to Smugmug's news page. Looks like I'm gonna have to change the URLs.

I don't really understand why those URLs, when using a sub-domain / personal domain still redirect to SmugMug's pages? Why is it not isolated to SmugMug's domain?
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    DanCarl97 wrote: »
    I don't really understand why those URLs, when using a sub-domain / personal domain still redirect to SmugMug's pages? Why is it not isolated to SmugMug's domain?

:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse
  • Options
    LiveAwakeLiveAwake Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2014
    Baldy wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't aware of this issue before we went live and it has taken me awhile to mostly understand it. A wedding pro wrote into the heroes saying she had printed 800 handouts that had an URL with /wedding in it and we produced a 404 page unless it was /Wedding. Ouch.

I think we have a 99.9% use case solution in the works, which is to redirect when no conflict with one of our system pages is detected, which is what we do on SmugMug Legacy today. That will fix the case, for example, of the wedding pro's handouts.

What's less obvious to me is what to do on system pages SmugMug uses today, such as /signup and /pro. I am aware of a use case where a pro printed collateral with /signup on it and was surprised to find out it went to our signup form. I think with the solution we're working on, we can avoid 99.9% of the use cases we're seeing, but for system pages like /signup I'm not aware that we have figured out a solution (this is the part of the problem that's not new; it has existed on legacy for years too).

We're really sorry for the problems this has been causing in the meantime.
    A lot of the stuff on this thread is over my head, but if I'm understanding right, there are certain page names that we cannot use if we want them to be case-insensitive, is that right? Is there a list somewhere that we can refer to??

Currently my pages ending in /art and /about seem to work fine regardless of case, but my /services page gives a 404 not found if I don't capitalize the S. There's got to be a fix for this, right???
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2014
    LiveAwake wrote: »
    There's got to be a fix for this, right???

There is, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2014
    LiveAwake wrote: »
    A lot of the stuff on this thread is over my head, but if I'm understanding right, there are certain page names that we cannot use if we want them to be case-insensitive, is that right? Is there a list somewhere that we can refer to??
    I've seen no list, but a good starting point is the robots.txt file of any site. It includes:
    /date/
    /popular/
    /admin/
    /api/
    /cart/
    /hack/
    /gallery/
    /search/
    /services/
    /test/
    /VIP/
    /vip/
    /go/

To that you can also add these already used system pages:
    /event
    /keyword
    /customize
    /organize
    /settings
    /share
    /buy

There may be more that I didn't come across just now looking through my own site. Of course, as we add new features over time, we may add more system pages to accommodate them. So when giving out or posting a link, you should always give out the correct link (with the upper case first letter on any folder / gallery / page).
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2014
    Or if you'll be handing out a lot of links, it might be worth setting up a white-label URL shortening service. These allow you to set up a subdomain of your website which is just used for giving out flexible short links, like (for example) http://link.sherlockphotography.org/weddingspecials, which you could point anywhere you like on your SmugMug site (and even update the target when your website changes, or monitor how many people use the shortlink).