Options

Wekends are for the birds.

ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
edited April 17, 2013 in Wildlife
Its a nice time of year for bird photographers in Florida.
Here are a few of my favorites from last month.

1) He was standing away form the flock, looks like he just woke up.
RK8_8209-L.jpg

2) I was more lucky, than good with this shot.
RK8_7803-L.jpg

3) This Crulew was posing for more pictures than a S.I. model
RK8_8521-L.jpg swimsuit model.

4) I have this picture a hundred times over. Please let me know how you would make it better.
RK8_8472b-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    4) I have this picture a hundred times over. Please let me know how you would make it better.
    RK8_8472b-L.jpg[/QUOTE]

i wish i took it! jk

what a great shot!! i think its very well done clap.gif

win
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2013
    windoze wrote: »
    RK8_8472b-L.jpg

i wish i took it! jk

what a great shot!! i think its very well done clap.gif

win[/QUOTE]

Thanks For the nice comment.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Beautiful light with the crulews--we don't have that bird that I know of. What is the first bird? The only suggestion I can make as to how to improve the egret photo is to pair it with a second shot where the bird comes up with a fish! And that is a matter of luck. I can't decide whether I like #2 or #3 best, but I like all of them! Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    Beautiful light with the crulews--we don't have that bird that I know of. What is the first bird? The only suggestion I can make as to how to improve the egret photo is to pair it with a second shot where the bird comes up with a fish! And that is a matter of luck. I can't decide whether I like #2 or #3 best, but I like all of them! Best, Pam

Thank you Pam. The first bird is a Black Skimmer. The second is a Marbled Godwit. I do have pictures of the Egret with a catch. but the light is just a little different. I will try to get a better sequence of him.
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    I REALLY like every one of these.
    #1 Like the composition here, moving the skimmer just off centre and then for its bright beak to be pointing left ... excellent. Image really pops with the light you had.
    #2 Wonderful timing catching the curlew in a striking pose and still with its shadow on the ground. Love the clarity. (My be my eyes and I apologise if that is the reason ... is the image level. I get the impression that it is tilted on the left. As I said, I apologise if it just my poor old eyes)
    #3 If it wasn't for #4, this would be my favourite. Love the lines, the background and the different textures in the water/sand. The bird's shape is perfectly clear against the background and the pose it is holding. This is just so clear/crisp. Fabulous.
    #4 Wow!!! ... and then I take another look ... Wow!! Love the almost seamless background. That, together with the white feathers makes for an almost high-key effect. Where the bird has punched its head into the water, it looks as if the water has a hole in it - like the drain hole in a bath. The symmetry in the refection - terrific. And you have 100's of these?? You are one lucky photographer to have so many to enjoy at your leisure.
    Congratulations on a wonderful set - and thanks for sharing.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2013
    Marvelous images Robert and #4 needs no improvement.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    I REALLY like every one of these.
    #1 Like the composition here, moving the skimmer just off centre and then for its bright beak to be pointing left ... excellent. Image really pops with the light you had.
    #2 Wonderful timing catching the curlew in a striking pose and still with its shadow on the ground. Love the clarity. (My be my eyes and I apologise if that is the reason ... is the image level. I get the impression that it is tilted on the left. As I said, I apologise if it just my poor old eyes)
    #3 If it wasn't for #4, this would be my favourite. Love the lines, the background and the different textures in the water/sand. The bird's shape is perfectly clear against the background and the pose it is holding. This is just so clear/crisp. Fabulous.
    #4 Wow!!! ... and then I take another look ... Wow!! Love the almost seamless background. That, together with the white feathers makes for an almost high-key effect. Where the bird has punched its head into the water, it looks as if the water has a hole in it - like the drain hole in a bath. The symmetry in the refection - terrific. And you have 100's of these?? You are one lucky photographer to have so many to enjoy at your leisure.
    Congratulations on a wonderful set - and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ace, I really appreciate the time you spent to to respond to my photos. I see what you mean about the tilt on the second photo. Thats a very easy fix. Cleaning the sand in the out of focus area was fairly challenging.
    I had some sweet light for the Crulew in the third picture, but only took a few shots as there was some grasses floating in the background that I did not like.
    As for the last shot. This my best of two mornings photo sessions with this bird. Capturing the splash is not so hard. Getting him to do do it in good light when the water is motionless , is the trick.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »
    Marvelous images Robert and #4 needs no improvement.

Thanks Harry, I am glad you like them.
  • Options
    WossaWossa Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    Simply stunning, I can only wish to take images like these.....
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2013
    Wossa wrote: »
    Simply stunning, I can only wish to take images like these.....

Thanks for the kind words.