Options

Polarizing Filters

ccriderccrider Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited April 6, 2013 in Accessories
Hi all, kinda new here and to digital photography. I know with Photoshop and Lightroom lots of editing options are available now that weren't around (or maybe done as easily) as in the film days.
So my questions is, are polarizing filters still in use much? It would seem the better I can get the picture up front the less work or adjustments are needed later. The use would be for landscape pictures on those days when there is not a lot of contrast between the clouds and sky. Also shots around water.
I'm thinking of getting one to put on my Canon 10-22 or 17-85 lens. Camera is a T1i.
As always any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Curt

Comments

• Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Howdy & welcome! Yes, I find them still very much important. In fact, I wish I had used them a lot earlier in my transition to digital. I've sort of re-discovered the importance of filters as of late and have been working hard at incorporating them more into my work. I fully agree that you need to try your best to get it right the first time and not rely on post to fix it.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited April 6, 2013
    Polarizing filters are among the very few optical filters that still make sense to use on digital cameras, although they can be problematic for wide-angle focal lengths. (The polarization effect on skies varies by angle from the source, and a wide-angle focal length lens often produces an irregular result across the sky of a scene.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ccriderccrider Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Thanks for the response. Looks like i might try one for the 17-85 lens and see how it goes. A friend of mine has one I can try before I buy. Who knows, I may be posting a wanted add.
    Thanks curt