Options

SSD's...

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited April 11, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
Well, just installed a new Crucial 512 GB SSD in the mac mini last night, and Wowzers!!! It is everything they said it would be. (I know that there are faster SSD's but I already had Crucial ram and the customer support is pretty good) The computer was no slouch in the first place having a 2.3 ghz quad core i7 and 16GB of ram, but man oh man it is fast now. You click icons and they don't bounce at all, they just open. All of that initializing that Lightroom and PS do when they first open...gone. After you click the icon to launch the program it just loads and about 1.5 seconds later you are working on your photo.

:barb

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone that was still sitting on the fence about upgrading to an SSD.

P.S. For what its worth apple would have charged an additional $900 for 2 x 256GB SSD and 16GB of ram. I kept the original 1TB HDD and added a 512GB SSD (so now I have 1.5 TB of space, although admittedly the original HDD is a slowish 5400rpm model) and 16GB of ram from Crucial for less than $500 out the door. If there are any drawbacks to going this route, I am at a loss as to what they might be.
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    Definitely agree. I am running a pair of the Samsung 840 512GB's in Raid 0. Pegasus J4 enclosure, Thunderbolt connection, connected to a SSD Retina MacBook Pro. Unbelievable, ridiculous fast.

8639003621_2bff9a1c0a_c.jpg