Options

Automotive Photo C&C

mpipermpiper Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited April 9, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
I'm new to Automotive Photography and working to polish this style. I'd appreciate any constructive advice or criticism you might have. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    Second shot for review:
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    Third for review.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    4th for review
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    last shot for review & critique.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    In general, I'm not a fan of this sort of post processing, so I'll skip any comments on that. Your first shot is a poor location, period. I don't see anything good coming out of a shot like that. Trains and cars have been done before and it can come out nice. But that fence, the parking lot stripes, the vegetation. This is NOT a location to do a trains-and-car type of shot.

The second shot needs to be either dead-centered straight on, or at a more deliberate angle. Right not it just looks like an accident.

Third shot, I don't like the fake background blurring (in all honesty, I've never seen anyone truly do it well).

The fourth shot is a nice detail shot though.

Finally shot 5 needs a circular polarizer to help remove the reflection in the other cars in that side door.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    mercphoto wrote: »
    In general, I'm not a fan of this sort of post processing, so I'll skip any comments on that. Your first shot is a poor location, period. I don't see anything good coming out of a shot like that. Trains and cars have been done before and it can come out nice. But that fence, the parking lot stripes, the vegetation. This is NOT a location to do a trains-and-car type of shot.

The second shot needs to be either dead-centered straight on, or at a more deliberate angle. Right not it just looks like an accident.

Third shot, I don't like the fake background blurring (in all honesty, I've never seen anyone truly do it well).

The fourth shot is a nice detail shot though.

Finally shot 5 needs a circular polarizer to help remove the reflection in the other cars in that side door.

Thanks for the feedback! Not trying to defend my choices, just sharing some background. Shot 1 was actually a snapshot that I liked and decided to use as a starting point. (I'll avoid this in the future.) For shot 2, I'll shift more to the side next time, get a better 3/4 shot. Think that'll fix it? Shot 3 had a really cluttered background and this was an effort to create a cleaner "backdrop." Any suggestions for that? For Shot 4, glad you like that one.

I've purchased both a circular and a linear Polarizing filter since I took that shot. Would a Circular or a rotating linear polarizer work better for shot 5?

I really appreciate the critique. Thank you! Hopefully some others will chime in as well so I can see the various opinions and options for future shoots.