Options

Did I break out of the classical "Mode"

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited April 15, 2013 in People
OK, everyone says I'm too classical looking. Is this any better for the breakaway? :dunno

1. i-XPmMXBP-XL.jpg

2. i-88sHHRT-XL.jpg

3. i-XVxZXrk-XL.jpg

4. i-b9QFsr2-XL.jpg

5. i-P8VHF4d-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Hackbone,
    I don't know if you were too classical before or not, as my taste changes quite frequently. I think that the 1st picture is a little harsh on the lighting, but that is just me and it is my favorite. I hope you do not mind, but I did a quick edit (albeit I am just learning), so here you go... Probably the classical look that you are trying to break out of.
    9ucacm.jpg

I like the other images too, but I have heard so many comments like: your subject is centered, use the rule of thirds, so that is what stands out when looking at some of the others. I like #2, then #5, but it could use a little more pop.

Kelly
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    I like the edit......maybe a tad too soft for my taste but I do like it. There are sooooo many ways to do an image it can get crazy trying to keep up and please everyone. When you get a chance please explain the edit for the sake of all viewing....thanks.
  • Options
    KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Hackbone,

I do not currently have a version of photoshop (using Paintshop Pro X2) so here goes.
    1> Skin smoothing at 59%
    2> Over all brightness +8, Shadows +20, highlights -15 (no sharpening)
    3> Color temp 5351
    4> Brightness / Contrast 8/4

That is pretty much it... if you do not like it that soft, then it could be sharpened at the end. I have a tendency to over sharpen my images, so that is why I left this one soft.
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Very nice set, 3 and 4 are my favorites.

Regards.

Marcelo
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    it's a different look for you to be sure. some are better executed then others. 4 is my fav. The legs in 2 have some processing issues fyi
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2013
    Yes, in #2 in used some Topaz adjust and it does weird things to areas of contrast in skin. We've had so much rain and cold weather I've forgotten how to work outdoors. Gotta get back in the groove now that it's warming up. Thanks all.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    To be honest these dont measure up to your normal stuff.

1 - lighting is too harsh.
    2 - agree with Qarik as her skin on her legs looks
    3 - the pose doesnt work for me. she looks awkward
    4 - again agree with Qarik that this is the best of the bunch but I would clone out the kid in background as my eye went straight to it
    5 - screams fake lighting to me. it looks very flat.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    Naturally, I'm gonna be mostly contrary to popular opinion here. rolleyes1.gif

I like #s 1, (both original and edit) and 5 a lot.

I think # 2 doesn't work. Too much shadow on her face and legs too mottled. Could probably be fixed in PP.

I like # 3 overall but the "amputated" leg bothers me. Maybe drop it down a bit to see more of her foot??

The kid in # 4 doesn't bother me BUT I think a tighter crop could have left the beach feel while putting the model more as the subject than she is now.

and I know what you mean about getting back outdoors. After all the cold months in the studio, I have to remember how to set my meter for natural light. Laughing.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2013
    I agree with the harsh light but I was trying to overcome sunlight with one speed light and working by myself did not have a way to block the direct sun in 2 &4.......but that little 600 canon flash is pretty cool in radio mode. I posted a set up shot in the pull back thread.

I agree with the knee cut off.........I was starting to wain after the second hour of walking around and my brain started to die.

Sort of liked the kid sprinting in the background......it does detract and would remove it for a judge. I originally took the bird house out but decided to keep it in......Oh Well.

Thanks for all the comments/opinions......we all got em!!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    I really like #3, and the concept on 4, although I think it's a little flash-y.

Hack, do you ever do any natural light stuff outside, even if just for fun? I'd love to see what you'd produce with just a reflector and some pretty golden hour light.... thumb.gif

I know even for myself - not as much in the studio as you are - it's easy to get used to "creating" the light and forgetting to "find" it instead.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2013
    2 & 4 was on a very bright and very sunny day most of it in direct sun. Roughly 2:30 to 4PM. Had the flash to open up the shadows caused by the harsh sunlight. I have to produce alot of files quickly so I only spent about 20 minutes on roughly 12 files. Some of the nits are OK for what I do.

I don't work many evenings, I'd rather spent that time with my family. All of my sessions are during traditional business hours.

There is a big difference between the folks here on what is considered "normal" than on the other pro forum I hang out on. They seem to go for the grunge senior "thing" and harsher shadows. Those are the folks that I have been influenced by.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    In which case.... open shade? Works any time of day. Just a thought. thumb.gif

Yeah, the whole grunge thing - not instinctively my bag, although I do have a couple of folks interested in sessions where it would be a super-appropriate look and I'm DYING to play around with a graffitti wall... (I know a fairly edgy composer who may do a session at some point)
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    In which case.... open shade? Works any time of day. Just a thought. thumb.gif

Common....open shade......that's for everyone......got to be able to do it in hot, simmering, sweaty sun!!!! Laughing.gif!

How is this for no shade????? These are fun to do.

i-5zgvpHH-XL.jpg
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    I like that last one a whole lot Hack. I'm one of the "common" open shade devotees so I can appreciate this one for the difficulty it presents.

If you don't mind a momentary hijack, this may have been the most difficult outdoor image I've ever shot. Gorgeous black woman in a white bikini in the noon Caribbean sun
    then I ran right back to the shade. Laughing.gif

p105968905-3.jpg

/hijack
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2013
    What more can you ask for.....detail in the skin.....detail in the white bikini......direction of light!!! You got a winner. Please most more how to here!!!!!!!

I love to cruse in the Caribbean and while down there for some reason the sun doesn't seem as harsh for photography as in the States. The beach sand or water seems to balance out the shadows or something. Haven't quite put my finger on it. Do you have the same opinion?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2013
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2013
    I can tell that the young lady isn't a shooter and hasn't even tried it, so why the shotty?
    And that's really my only serious nit...

I'm a fan of people trying to ride a new horse and think that it will only improve them - Keep at it because before you know it, we're old, opinionated and not doing very much.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2013
    Thanks D'Buggs, she says she hunts and really wanted to go to her boyfriends farm. I really was not thrilled with the farm session as it was totally bleak. Darn right on getting too old too quick.