Options

Security vs Freedom

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
edited August 14, 2004 in The Big Picture
I had an interesting experience this morning. I was up early going to work at 7am, and as I passed the local mall the sunlight was streaming across its front - it faces East - and part of it was sheathed in yellow plastic strand board where reconstruction was begun. No workmen were present. Indeed, no one was present. But the bright yellow construction site in the golden sun seemed quite lovely so I stopped to take a few photographs. I did not take any images of the interior of the mall - just an outside wall visible easily to any passer by. I was using a wide angle so I was just 10 - 20 feet from the wall itself, when a uniformed security guard came up to me and told me that this was private property and that photographs were not permitted by the owners. He did not touch me or try to take my camera or my images I had already taken. He asked me why I was taking pictures and I told him about the streaming sunlight and the glorious color. But again he said photography was not permitted. There are, of course, published pictures of the Mall in brochures and the local Newspaper so this has not always been their policy.

So I said OK, and got in my car and left. I understand the need for security in modern America and I am sympathetic with it, but I wonder if this is the way to achieve it. If I had unsavory purposes in mind, I could have stayed 400 yards back on the highway with a long telephoto and NO ONE would have been aware of my activity. Or I could have grabbed a few pics with a picture phone. But here I am out in the early morning sunlight and apparently am thought to be a risk factor of some sort. I present this discussion as a result of feeling kind of bemused about this experience and am interested in a discussion about the risks and rights we have as photgraphers in America.

As an aside, I am not interested in whether this will be better or not, if we elect a new president - I really doubt whether that will offer much of a change in regard to photography in public places. My interest really is more in regard to local custom aand local law enforcement, or the experience of other photographers - amateur and professional.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2004
    PF, I've run into your experience a lot. A lot. Every weekend, almost. Last weekend I was asked to stop shooting in a beautiful hotel lobby. When I was making the images at the drive-in burger place, the manager came out and wanted to know what I was doing. A security guard approached me when I was shooting an empty office park on a weekend - we had a brief discussion about where the private property line ended. I was asked to stop shooting at a subway station. A couple of months ago I was shooting outside a movie theater, and the manager told me that pointing a camera was like pointing a gun. I had to remind him that a camera's never actually killed anyone.

Interestingly, the Atlanta Braves/Turner Field are exceptionally hospitable to photographers. Despite being a public place with security/crowd control every 20 yards, no-one's ever challenged me. And whenever I asked, I was granted permission to roam an area for a shot. Quite a contrast to the suspicion which normally seems to greet someone with a camera, especially a honking 1D with a large-ish lens mounted.

I understand the security sensitivity, especially in these times. And it doesn't help us as photographers, when they arrest terrorism suspects who have recent photos of public buildings in their possession. So while my knee-jerk reaction is to be irritated when approached, I'm trying to train myself to be a nicer person about it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2004
    i get stopped on a daily basis
    i've become immune to the nuisance of it all. nyc is getting tougher and tougher. you're right, pf, that if we were spying, we'd use different gear and different approaches - lol!

i'm really pissed that they're trying to shut photography down in the nyc subway. if you google it, there are actual plans for the whole system!

i've learned to become friendly with the security guards. here are a few of my new buds:

3100540-M.jpg

in fact, i see the above guy all the time :D

6930082-M.jpg

1502820-M.jpg

wxwax wrote:
    PF, I've run into your experience a lot. A lot. Every weekend, almost. Last weekend I was asked to stop shooting in a beautiful hotel lobby. When I was making the images at the drive-in burger place, the manager came out and wanted to know what I was doing. A security guard approached me when I was shooting an empty office park on a weekend - we had a brief discussion about where the private property line ended. I was asked to stop shooting at a subway station. A couple of months ago I was shooting outside a movie theater, and the manager told me that pointing a camera was like pointing a gun. I had to remind him that a camera's never actually killed anyone.

Interestingly, the Atlanta Braves/Turner Field are exceptionally hospitable to photographers. Despite being a public place with security/crowd control every 20 yards, no-one's ever challenged me. And whenever I asked, I was granted permission to roam an area for a shot. Quite a contrast to the suspicion which normally seems to greet someone with a camera, especially a honking 1D with a large-ish lens mounted.

I understand the security sensitivity, especially in these times. And it doesn't help us as photographers, when they arrest terrorism suspects who have recent photos of public buildings in their possession. So while my knee-jerk reaction is to be irritated when approached, I'm trying to train myself to be a nicer person about it.