Options

Canon M and B&H Pricing

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited April 18, 2013 in Cameras
Deals currently abound on the Canon mirrorless camera:

Canon Rumors

From BigValueInc BigValueInc via eBay is selling the Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2 STM kit for $399 brand new. You can still choose which color you’d like, as black, red, silver and white are all available. Buy the Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2.8 STM $399 cr

B&H price remains $599, I expect because of Canon's minimum selling price policy which B&H currently abides to.

Seems my favorite dealer is being held hostage by the manufacturer while us little guys are slowly going elsewhere for their stuff.

What to do? Pay B&H and extra $200 because I love them?

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2013
    Probably. The $399 units are probably gray market or/and distressed. Even if they're not, do you know that BigValueInc will stand behind the sale if anything goes wrong now or later?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2013
    Canon does not have a minimum selling price policy, and B&H often sells well below MSRP. Canon requires authorized dealers not to advertise discounted prices. Often you have to put the item in your cart to see the real price. However, in this case, the price is the same either way, $529, which suggests that they are selling this at MSRP.

If you can find it cheaper at another authorized dealer, call B&H and ask them to match it. If the competitor is not authorized, I think they won't consider it.

Personally, I never use non-authorized dealers that are substantially cheaper than the big and reputable discounters, like B&H and Adorama. I want a retailer that I know will stand behind the product, and I don't want warranty problems. I have only needed customer service from B&H a few times, and every time, they have been great to deal with. To each his or her own.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2013
    Zanotti wrote: »
    Deals currently abound on the Canon mirrorless camera:

Canon Rumors

From BigValueInc BigValueInc via eBay is selling the Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2 STM kit for $399 brand new. You can still choose which color you’d like, as black, red, silver and white are all available. Buy the Canon EOS M w/22mm f/2.8 STM $399 cr

B&H price remains $599, I expect because of Canon's minimum selling price policy which B&H currently abides to.

Seems my favorite dealer is being held hostage by the manufacturer while us little guys are slowly going elsewhere for their stuff.

What to do? Pay B&H and extra $200 because I love them?

Z

I would make sure it's an authorized dealer but finally, the "M" is getting to a tempting price