Options

Studio Slave system and my 20d

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited December 1, 2005 in Technique
Ok I'm not sure which end of my body I'm showing but here goes...

I recently purchased a 3 light system Britek studio setup. Each of the units produce up to 440watts each. I have them spaces properly and each of them works as a SLAVE.

Must I trigger one of these using sync cord?

Reason I ask is: Anytime I try to use the built in flash to fire the studio lights I get VERY mixed results. It seems the camera tries to compensate for ALL THAT LIGHT coming from the studio lights that my pictures are just plain awful. Mostly they are dark.. but occasional will be light... it's so not consistant.

I'm blaming the circuitry built in with that internal flash. I can only think that I need to forget the internal flash and SYNC one of these studio lights to the camera to get the expected result.

You are probably thinking, "why is he asking and won't he just try it and then he could tell us?" Well they shipped everything except the sync cords. They forgot to send them. Hopefuly they will get them right over to me. As for now I have no SYNC cord to fit. :cry

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
kc7dji

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    Ok I'm not sure which end of my body I'm showing but here goes...

I recently purchased a 3 light system Britek studio setup. Each of the units produce up to 440watts each. I have them spaces properly and each of them works as a SLAVE.

Must I trigger one of these using sync cord?

Reason I ask is: Anytime I try to use the built in flash to fire the studio lights I get VERY mixed results. It seems the camera tries to compensate for ALL THAT LIGHT coming from the studio lights that my pictures are just plain awful. Mostly they are dark.. but occasional will be light... it's so not consistant.

I'm blaming the circuitry built in with that internal flash. I can only think that I need to forget the internal flash and SYNC one of these studio lights to the camera to get the expected result.

You are probably thinking, "why is he asking and won't he just try it and then he could tell us?" Well they shipped everything except the sync cords. They forgot to send them. Hopefuly they will get them right over to me. As for now I have no SYNC cord to fit. :cry

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    kc7dji
    Try adjusting the flash exposure compensation as negative as it will go. You only want just enough flash to trigger the slaves. Are you in manual mode?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Thomas,

I wasn't sure how to do that. I now have a Sync cord and the results are amazing. Well at least to me.

46716596-M.jpg
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Try adjusting the flash exposure compensation as negative as it will go. You only want just enough flash to trigger the slaves. Are you in manual mode?