Options

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,836 moderator
edited November 13, 2013 in Cameras
The Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art is being billed as the "... first wide-angle to standard zoom lens to achieve a large aperture of 1.8. [... for APS-C sensors.]"

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm-art

27-52.5mm FF equivalence on an APS-C body.

(From the link:)

SPECIFICATIONS
Lens Construction 17 Elements in 12 Groups
Angle of View (SD1) 76.5º-44.2º
Number of Diaphragm Blades 9
Mininum Aperture f16
Minimum Focusing Distance 8 cm/ 11.0 in
Filter Size (mm) 72mm
Maximum Magnifications 1:4.3
Dimensions
(Diameter x Length) 78mm x 121.0mm/3.1in. x 4.8in.
Weight 28.6oz
Corresponding Mounts
Sigma HSM DC
Nikon HSM DC
Canon HSM DC

HSM -Hyper-Sonic Motor
DC - DC for Digital
* The appearance, specifications, and the like of the product are subject to change for improvement without notice.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    edited April 19, 2013
    In the past a number of manufacturers made 28-50mm zooms for 135 format film SLRs. This lens duplicates that versatility for APS-C bodies, but the aperture is much larger on this lens. The bokeh may be roughly the same for crop bodies as the best of those vintage lenses (or maybe even a bit better) on a film body.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    Given that it's for aps-c sensors, makes me think the price will be reasonable as well. Like maybe in the 900-1100 range? Maybe quite a bit more though. Either way, this sounds like an awesome lens and definitely going to be looking for some reviews to see if it should be on my wishlist. At this point it already is.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    The first thing I'm going to do when I get my hands on this lens is mount it on my D700 and see what I can get out of it as far as cropping VS vignetting is concerned. I'd really mainly use it for star trail time lapses, so cropping down all the way to DX is okay if necessary but I'm hoping I can get the equivalent of 24-50 out of it one way or another...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    Nice to Sigma creating new and interesting glass. Although I find the range a bit limited (kind of like the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8) isn't it?
    I wished Sigma updated their beautiful 300 2.8 prime one day, so it would also perform with TC's.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2013
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    Nice to Sigma creating new and interesting glass. Although I find the range a bit limited (kind of like the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8) isn't it?
    I wished Sigma updated their beautiful 300 2.8 prime one day, so it would also perform with TC's.

Are you wishing it would perform better with TC's because it does perform with TC's.

For the 18-35 1.8 I am very interested in this lens. With the performance manufactures are getting out of cropped sensors, I am finding I get less and less interested in new full frame bodies and more with upcoming cropped bodies.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Are you wishing it would perform better with TC's because it does perform with TC's.

For the 18-35 1.8 I am very interested in this lens. With the performance manufactures are getting out of cropped sensors, I am finding I get less and less interested in new full frame bodies and more with upcoming cropped bodies.

Sigmas 300mm prime falls apart with 2x TCs. Also the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 outperforms it's sister prime.

I would prefer a 24-70 2.8 on fullframe over a crop camera with a 18-35 f/1.8. Why?
    Because I am shooting FF mostly for thin DOF, and f/1.8 on a crop body gives the same
    DOF as a f/2.5 lens on fullframe. And while the f/1.8 lens allows for faster shutter speeds,
    a FF camera allows for higher ISO, which nullifies the advantages of an f/1.8 zoom on a
    crop camera for me.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013
    ... I would prefer a 24-70 2.8 on fullframe over a crop camera with a 18-35 f/1.8. Why?
    Because I am shooting FF mostly for thin DOF, and f/1.8 on a crop body gives the same
    DOF as a f/2.5 lens on fullframe. ...

... Which is an even thinner DOF for the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM, is it not?

(Actually, for a Canon crop 1.6x body I think that the f1.8 translates closer to f2.8 DOF on a FF body with equivalent AOV/FOV. I can check further on that tomorrow, if you wish.)
    ... And while the f/1.8 lens allows for faster shutter speeds,
    a FF camera allows for higher ISO, which nullifies the advantages of an f/1.8 zoom on a
    crop camera for me.

... Or it means the same shutter speed at a lower ISO, allowing a more similar noise signature.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    OstravaczechOstravaczech Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art is being billed as the "... first wide-angle to standard zoom lens to achieve a large aperture of 1.8. [... for APS-C sensors.]"

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/18-35mm-f18-dc-hsm-art

27-52.5mm FF equivalence on an APS-C body.

(From the link:)

SPECIFICATIONS
    Lens Construction 17 Elements in 12 Groups
    Angle of View (SD1) 76.5º-44.2º
    Number of Diaphragm Blades 9
    Mininum Aperture f16
    Minimum Focusing Distance 8 cm/ 11.0 in
    Filter Size (mm) 72mm
    Maximum Magnifications 1:4.3
    Dimensions
    (Diameter x Length) 78mm x 121.0mm/3.1in. x 4.8in.
    Weight 28.6oz
    Corresponding Mounts
    Sigma HSM DC
    Nikon HSM DC
    Canon HSM DC

HSM -Hyper-Sonic Motor
    DC - DC for Digital
    * The appearance, specifications, and the like of the product are subject to change for improvement without notice.

I think they (Sigma) mean 28cm / 11", not 8 cm.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    New toys from Sigma!
    This looks interesting...

http://petapixel.com/2013/04/18/sigma-drops-bombshell-announces-a-18-35mm-f1-8-lens/#hX5sw99xCiuBBboB.99

edit: oops didn't realize that this was an old thread, my bad.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013

ziggy53 wrote: »
    ... Which is an even thinner DOF for the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM, is it not?

(Actually, for a Canon crop 1.6x body I think that the f1.8 translates closer to f2.8 DOF on a FF body with equivalent AOV/FOV. I can check further on that tomorrow, if you wish.)

... Or it means the same shutter speed at a lower ISO, allowing a more similar noise signature.

Hi Ziggy, all of what you said is correct and thus the lens makes great sense for crop shooters.
    What I meant to say is, that on FF one gets the same effect with an f/2.8 lens and higher ISO.
    Therefore it brings nothing new to the table (for me). The Sigma is a DC lens, meaning it can't
    be used on FF without heavy vignetting, unfortunately.
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    Here is some more lens info including sample pics taken on a Canon EOS600D.

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-ART-18-35mm-f18-Preview
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2013
    Any updates or review on this lens before I rent/purchase?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2013

Definitely! A handful of us here at DGrin have had a chance to test the lens, and I believe that a few people now own it too. I've done a full review here, if you're interested:

http://www.slrlounge.com/sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-ex-dc-field-review

Bottom line, the lens is flawlessly sharp, and built like a Zeiss. It's incredible.

=Matt=

Sigma-18-35-lens-review-1.jpg
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2013
    Matthew, thank you so much for your review. It definitely gave me the confidence to make the purchase without renting first. Now I just need all of the stores to have it in stock.

Alicia
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2013
    The first thing I'm going to do when I get my hands on this lens is mount it on my D700 and see what I can get out of it as far as cropping VS vignetting is concerned. I'd really mainly use it for star trail time lapses, so cropping down all the way to DX is okay if necessary but I'm hoping I can get the equivalent of 24-50 out of it one way or another...

=Matt=

Did you test in on the D700?
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013

plenty of comparison pics and reviews here

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1315965&highlight=sigma+18&page=16

(all Canon crop models )
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2013
    Did you test in on the D700?

Yes. Are you hoping that it offers some sort of extra focal range that can get you to a wider crop factor than 1.5x? In my experience, not really. If you're just recording timelapses at 1080p you might be able to squeeze a 24mm FOV or so out of it, but that would still require shooting at 18mm or 20mm and cropping in.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2013
    Yes. Are you hoping that it offers some sort of extra focal range that can get you to a wider crop factor than 1.5x? In my experience, not really. If you're just recording timelapses at 1080p you might be able to squeeze a 24mm FOV or so out of it, but that would still require shooting at 18mm or 20mm and cropping in.

=Matt=

I'm more hoping to have a more utilitarian lens that I can possibly use in the 24-35 mm range on FX without too much vignetting as well. I'm not looking for a wider range.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    I'm more hoping to have a more utilitarian lens that I can possibly use in the 24-35 mm range on FX without too much vignetting as well. I'm not looking for a wider range.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say. You could achieve the EQUIVALENT of 24-35mm on full-frame, but you might have to do it by zooming the lens a little wider than 24mm and cropping in post. This won't be a problem on the likes of a D800 for still photography, but on something like a D700 it might be only worthwhile for lower-res stuff like timelapses.

Honestly though, I'm fully expecting Sigma to release a fast wide angle full-frame lens within the next ~6 months though. If you're already solidly in the full-frame camp and not interested in things like the crop mdoe on the D800, then I'd hold out.

=Matt=