Options

Learn Something Everyday

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited April 22, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
And sometimes it translates out for me :D Was fairly pleased to add this one to my lineup. Not perfect but I'll take decent most times.

Rider_WMweb_9824-X3.jpg
Michael

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    I like it, I'm a blur fan.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2013
    Thanks Cristóbal :D I am learning to see in blur for more things. It can be way cool if done well.
    And it certainly does get done well by so many all the time.
    Just hope I can remember to use when I should be. Thats the tricky part for a way less than full time
    photo bug. It comes to me that I need to re capture the emotion blur found in the wonder of discovering photography as an artist expression.

I did a cattle round up Cristóbal like yourself this year. Did the same roundup last year and it was quite the experience as well. Did net a few decent returns for which I can be happy I did manage something.
    Got 1 shot that has every little thing going on in it. But unsure of sharing that image or anything like in the set. What is your sense of that? I have yet to read into any discussions concerning it. Have you?
    Michael
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    I think this one is somewhere beyond being just decent. I'm seldom attracted to the blurred look, however, I find this shot appealing. In fact, without the blurring, you've got a standard scene you see all the time. In this case, there's some drama and tension brought into the picture.

Well done, Michael,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2013
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Thanks Cristóbal :D I am learning to see in blur for more things. It can be way cool if done well.
    And it certainly does get done well by so many all the time.
    Just hope I can remember to use when I should be. Thats the tricky part for a way less than full time
    photo bug. It comes to me that I need to re capture the emotion blur found in the wonder of discovering photography as an artist expression.

I did a cattle round up Cristóbal like yourself this year. Did the same roundup last year and it was quite the experience as well. Did net a few decent returns for which I can be happy I did manage something.
    Got 1 shot that has every little thing going on in it. But unsure of sharing that image or anything like in the set. What is your sense of that? I have yet to read into any discussions concerning it. Have you?

Hi Michael

Some people are into blur, some not. I like it, but it needs to convey something, not blur for blur's sake. That's the hard part. I'm not sure I follow the last part of your comment about sharing a shot or not. I suppose that if in doubt you could send it to Richard or some of us for an opinion? Am I understanding right? probably not.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    Agree with Tom and Cristóbal's comments.... it works!
    Colorful shirt adds a lot.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Agree with Tom and Cristóbal's comments.... it works!
    Colorful shirt adds a lot.
    Yes, the shirt did great and the shoulder and waist color bands created I think from his rope. Not sure.
    And thanks Eric. It does work but there are buts? But what? What does it need I keep asking myself.
    I am going to put up 2 images Sat for you guys in this thread. They are ready but i am toast mwink.gif
    Thank you for your feeback Eric :D The support for this image has been great. I will try to solve this thing. I have already taken out the small but long white blur just off to the left there.
    Its not the rabbit I could lie and say it is :D
    Michael
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2013
    I am a fun of blurs done well. Like Tom, this one is close for me but not quite there. What I'd like to see is just a bit more definition in the horse's head -- still mostly blur but just a little more so I can tell better what it is. I like the simplicity of the image with all the negative space for the horse and rider to move into. Really well done overall. Let's see more.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    I am a fun of blurs done well. Like Tom, this one is close for me but not quite there. What I'd like to see is just a bit more definition in the horse's head -- still mostly blur but just a little more so I can tell better what it is. I like the simplicity of the image with all the negative space for the horse and rider to move into. Really well done overall. Let's see more.

Lauren
    Very good to hear from you Lauren :D Thank you so very much for adding on your thoughts.
    Your points of interests to make this more effective are good ones. I have resisted 4 times the changing of those points. I actually touched them once and then deleted to stay on very "pale pastel" line. I had no desire to screw up an already touchy boarder line iffy because of the length of the blur from in camera result. You already know I am not afraid to smack an image around for a look see but this one I kinda figure is above my pay grade to "fix" , "sexify" for the stage. I understand there is only so much mileage one can get out of this shot as is. If doing as you suggest takes the work as far as it can go... then likely I can handle those points successfully more or less and call it good to go. But I am going to have to ask even then if its right. This from a person who was willing to say no to changes. Thats not like me. Whats up with that? headscratch.gif I will make the correction and post it here. What do you think of the board rail not finishing the surround. I think cloning in a top board rail would complete a "certain" balance I find not there because of it. Yet left open we can sense he rode in that way save for the wire continues around closing the path. Hmmm :D It would make my year to come complete right now to dial this in to the very best it can be from what is there. It may be possible for a re shoot but it will never come out like this again... unless there is some serious planning to use the exact same site and get a willing hand and gear out there. Same site is not a must. Just nice basic elements. No clutter.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Hi Michael

Some people are into blur, some not. I like it, but it needs to convey something, not blur for blur's sake. That's the hard part. I'm not sure I follow the last part of your comment about sharing a shot or not. I suppose that if in doubt you could send it to Richard or some of us for an opinion? Am I understanding right? probably not.
    I appreciate your insight :D
    Everytime I send something to Richard... Not Angelo (who for some reason strong I'd guess, can not be here) tells me to just post. Let the chips fall where they may. Which only means I sent him no issue stuff. So I will show the easier 1 to take covering a subject that apparently is quite appalling to some.
    And like most ... we understand why they might feel that way. I am not big on certain wrongs either.

1. Roping ... No worry image. Easy to share around.
    BC_Web_0237-XL.jpg

2. Branding .... Apparently this gives a livelyhood in Cattle Ranching a bad name. Here hot branding is done as opposed to cold branding with liquid nitrogen. Nitrogen will work but I have seen it used and and thought it way harder to make the brand correct anywhere near as fast.
    BC_Web_8949-X2.jpg

3. Calf Castration.... Apparently it is here that things get really sensitive to show at all. The cattlemen themselves prefer not to have these types out upsetting the neighborhood. Where does one share such works?
    BC_Web_9005-L.jpg
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2013
    I think this one is somewhere beyond being just decent. I'm seldom attracted to the blurred look, however, I find this shot appealing. In fact, without the blurring, you've got a standard scene you see all the time. In this case, there's some drama and tension brought into the picture.

Well done, Michael,

Tom
    Thank you very much Tom :D I am getting to you my friend. Saved you for last cause deal.gif You have touched my point. It is not simply decent for which I quickly agree and did when I put it forward for a pier review and rank. I took out 1 item. The little white streak on the ground left. Kept the PP to practically nothing in comparison to what I could have thrown at it. Tasteful being good in all things a goal.... Achieved occasionally. You know the drill rolleyes1.gif
    So by leaving it alone and not addressing those points Lauren mentioned... as do that, I only hit decent. Fix those points and then maybe this image will be all it can be for what is there. I can tell ya I certainly hope I can pull that off. I would be hard pressed to re create this anytime soon. But I will the instance I get the chance. I am glad you gave this image a chance to get a feel for it and apply your thoughts. Highly appreciate it.
    Michael
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 20, 2013
    I appreciate your insight :D
    Everytime I send something to Richard... Not Angelo (who for some reason strong I'd guess, can not be here) tells me to just post. Let the chips fall where they may. Which only means I sent him no issue stuff. So I will show the easier 1 to take covering a subject that apparently is quite appalling to some.
    And like most ... we understand why they might feel that way. I am not big on certain wrongs either.

[

Not sure what that means DaddyO but I am always here. Like the great Oz, I see all, know all.... lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2013
    Angelo wrote: »
    Not sure what that means DaddyO but I am always here. Like the great Oz, I see all, know all.... lol3.gif
    I utter the necessary spell, wave my charms and fragrant essences for good measure and wella!
    Oz picks up 2nd ring rolleyes1.gifWorks saturdays too. hehe. Check it out iloveyou.gif
    Well Angelo :D what it means is that a few here at OCS seriously miss your presence, thoughtful considerations and highly sought after feedback day to day.
    Oz lurking isn't near as much fun as Oz Ozzing so we were feeling kinda unimportant just a tad over time. So I shook the tree. 2nd ring. Not bad. And thats about it. bowdown.gif:D
    Michael
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited April 21, 2013
    Hmmm...I've come back to this one several times now and although it's growing on me some, I can't say that I'm wild about it. I gather that blurry shots are quite the rage in artsy circles these days. I like motion and panning blur as long as there's something of interest that's in sharp focus. I suppose I must be old-fashioned. ne_nau.gif The hat and the horse's legs are recognizable enough that the image isn't really an abstract--perhaps impressionist comes closest. I'll have to think about it some more.

In the meantime, it's good to see that you're pushing your own boundaries. Posting here is a great way to get a sense of what's working and what's not, even when not everyone agrees.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2013
    I have hesitated in the past about posting pictures that reflect a reality that most people aren't used to and might find harsh. Your pictures reflect reality, weather you agree with it or not. A lot of people don't really connect the dots between the food they eat and the fact that animals need to be handled in different ways and, yes, slaughtered. There are some animal handling/production practices that are necessary, others unnecessary but not harmful and some unacceptable. I think that we should focus on eliminating the unacceptable practices at all costs and then work on gradually changing others. Identifying animals is necessary, however, hot branding can be eliminated and replaced by liquid nitrogen branding, which is less stressful for the animals. The place I visited in Oregon a few weeks ago used hot iron branding, I took pictures but, due to the same concerns you have I didn't post them.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    Ok :D Made changes to this point. Am I messing this up? Put up a fence..Planted some flowers.. Can't tell anymore. Its been a difficult shot.
    I have left the colors hot in this issue. This is the 6th version. Did look at this BW and it looks like that is worth pursuing too. Thanks :D
    BC_Web-WU6-Vinyet_9824-X2.jpg
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    A BW for consideration :D Worth a quick look. I am really going to have install Silver Efex. Its time I learn what it can do for BW.
    BC_BW-WU6-Webl_9824-X2.jpg
    Michael
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    My 2 cents,
    Hot Branding is a brutal, archaic technology developed during a time when cattle rustling and poor range management was a problem - I don't think that is such a problem these days.
    In-humane customs should not be maintained just for nostalgic purposes, and should be eliminated in favor of only modern techniques like nitrogen, ear tagging, RFID chips etc.
    Cristóbal is right in that documentation of such practices can be uncomfortable, but it does serve to raise awareness. Change comes too slow sometimes....

Michael, not that Silver Efex is not a fine tool, but I find LR to be very flexible, powerful, and capable of excellent results - it's probably more work though.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 22, 2013
    I utter the necessary spell, wave my charms and fragrant essences for good measure and wella!
    Oz picks up 2nd ring rolleyes1.gifWorks saturdays too. hehe. Check it out iloveyou.gif
    Well Angelo :D what it means is that a few here at OCS seriously miss your presence, thoughtful considerations and highly sought after feedback day to day.
    Oz lurking isn't near as much fun as Oz Ozzing so we were feeling kinda unimportant just a tad over time. So I shook the tree. 2nd ring. Not bad. And thats about it. bowdown.gif:D

Well Michael I tend to be a bit more reserved and democratic in my participation. I prefer to watch from the sidelines and make sure everything is neat and tidy and no one is causing trouble. Sort of like a school crossing guard Laughing.gif

Here's an example: I'd like to ask everyone to lean away from discussions of animal treatment (roping, branding, etc) and stay on topic, which is the action blur of the photograph posted.

I can't comment on every post and I don't want to be seen as playing favorites by commenting on only a few. However I hear you and I'll make a point of being a bit more noticeable. (careful what you ask for) lol3.gif

In fact I have an idea for a fun game for the forum I'm toying with - stay tuned!
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Hi Michael-

I think blurs can create some fascinating and very appealing shots. Personally, I like those that are the result more of in-camera work than post-processing. I like the impressionist shots that suggest a subject but that provide interesting colors and lines like your first one does. My desire for a bit more definition in the horse's head in this shot is just because I find myself looking so much at the middle of the horse's body, that is aligned with the rider of course, but wondering about the head. To me it is a subtle issue with this shot but not one that makes me dislike the shot at all. I really do like the shot overall. I much prefer the first one you posted instead of the one where you planted the flowers. :D I don't care for the BW one. As for your question about the fence rail going all the way around, I like it better in the original shot. Cloning in the rail does not work for me and, like you, I think the opening in the rail on the right side gives the impression of the horse and rider coming into the ring. You could reshoot it but like you say you will never replicate it. But for me, when looking at blur shots or when shooting them, part of the fun is that they are never the same. It is one of those types of shots that does not appeal to everyone. I happen to like them. Hope this is a bit of help. Anxious to see more of this as you experiment.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    Angelo wrote: »
    (careful what you ask for) lol3.gif

In fact I have an idea for a fun game for the forum I'm toying with - stay tuned!

Like the sound of that :D Staying tuned. Will be fun for all to see what you have in mind and join in.
    Seriously cool you have been thinking of something as you say for OCS. You must have been sending out vibes to have us thinking of you ahead of time. Now thats being careful thumb.gif and thoughtful :D
    Now, as you suggest.. back on topic. Blur and getting this image from decent to good status by whatever suggested means. Good plan. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    Hmmm...I've come back to this one several times now and although it's growing on me some, I can't say that I'm wild about it. I gather that blurry shots are quite the rage in artsy circles these days. I like motion and panning blur as long as there's something of interest that's in sharp focus. I suppose I must be old-fashioned. ne_nau.gif The hat and the horse's legs are recognizable enough that the image isn't really an abstract--perhaps impressionist comes closest. I'll have to think about it some more.

In the meantime, it's good to see that you're pushing your own boundaries. Posting here is a great way to get a sense of what's working and what's not, even when not everyone agrees.
    :D Hey Richard.
    Yeah.
    It is that kind of image. Grows on ya if its given time and a lot of allowances for its faults. Its like the faults and virtues cancel each other out and what we see remains. And what remains is curious enough I think, to pursue doing good by it if I can. From suggestions OCS and a little I added, I have 2 revisions for a look. I see pretty different and do like this and that. Did we move in a good direction or is it only nice try. I can live with nice try quick enough. Working with this one has already been very challenging and beneficial.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    I have hesitated in the past about posting pictures that reflect a reality that most people aren't used to and might find harsh. Your pictures reflect reality, weather you agree with it or not. A lot of people don't really connect the dots between the food they eat and the fact that animals need to be handled in different ways and, yes, slaughtered. There are some animal handling/production practices that are necessary, others unnecessary but not harmful and some unacceptable. I think that we should focus on eliminating the unacceptable practices at all costs and then work on gradually changing others. Identifying animals is necessary, however, hot branding can be eliminated and replaced by liquid nitrogen branding, which is less stressful for the animals. The place I visited in Oregon a few weeks ago used hot iron branding, I took pictures but, due to the same concerns you have I didn't post them.
    I see you have thought a lot on this. I am certain most would agree with what you think. More or less. I know I do. Its just one of those tricky deals to have everyone on the same page.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Michael, not that Silver Efex is not a fine tool, but I find LR to be very flexible, powerful, and capable of excellent results - it's probably more work though.
    :D Yes, lightroom users tell me its virtues and I've seen them exercised a little, I just haven't been up to its learning curve yet. Tried it and have ver 3 (adobe wouldn't come off 4 long story) and had to set it aside and stick with what I know. In the end I do want to move everything to lightroom. Right now I just need easy breezy nice BW result that is credible visual result without blowing a cell or 3 in the doing. On silver efex... I have no idea if it is a fine tool. I can tell ya that for the money I am not all that impressed with NikPro. I actually expected more out of Pro then is there for me. But I am still going over it. Some of the things it does have in fact been remarkable. I did use it to do the color revision here. It was useful so I am not total bashing Nik. Just a little disappointed on a few things.
    Michael