Beauty dish test SP

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 26, 2013 in People
Just got a 22inch beauty dish and wanted to test it out before I shot some formal portraits this evening for my daughter's prom.

I will likely shoot outdoors in some pretty bright light and wanted to control my fill with the BD. I used a vari-ND filter here to shoot wider open in the bright sun. Any suggestions on using the BD for couples or should I just use an umbrella?

41913-1-L.jpg

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2013
    Just saw this...sorry. Hope the kids have a blast tonight and lets see some posts!!
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2013
    Shoulder looks sharp and eyes are a tad soft. Otherwise cool
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2013
    Nice exposure, skin tones and over all lighting. When shooting with wider apertures you / we need to really nail the focus on the eyes.

Love to see some of the prom shots.

Sam
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    I would move it higher. I would try to get the catch light more in the top right part of the iris
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Very nicely it, IMO! Nice portrait of you, Mitchell!
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2013
    Looks good, BD's are nice to create this crispy light and even more important for beauty shots the creation of catch lights in the eyes.
    However, watch out that they are not in the pupil but in the iris. Recommended location for the catch light is 10 to 10 (watch).
    For couples it might work as well as long as it does not become to harsh (the light). I often use a sock (white) over de BD. It makes the light a bit softer....

ND filters , especially the adjustable one are great for outdoors shooting....in full sun and full open...
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2013
    Thanks for the insight. I did use a white diffusion sock on the BD for this.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2013
    To hell with the lighting. I want to hear the lecture you will give her date! mwink.gif
    Seriously, Nice pic!