Hoverfly Syrphus torvus

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited April 25, 2013 in Holy Macro
Hoverfly Syrphus torvus in the garden yesterday. Ony Syrphus species I can recognise as it has slightly hairy eyes.
Brian V.

8664046643_c9dd29ed53_o.jpg

8664046653_6b05273aea_o.jpg

8664046667_22e9a64984_o.jpg

Comments

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2013
    Lovely shots Brian.

Wish I could obtain the level of detail you and others get in your shots. I don't do too badly but it always seems that my images just lack that level of finesse and detail. (ps. help :D).
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2013
    IPClark wrote: »
    Lovely shots Brian.

Wish I could obtain the level of detail you and others get in your shots. I don't do too badly but it always seems that my images just lack that level of finesse and detail. (ps. help :D).
    Thanks for the comments Ian.

Can only think of 2 probable causes for the difference.
    Firstly I try to avoid too much diffraction softening in the image by not shooting at small apertures- eg normal max would be F11 at 1:1, F9 at 2:1, F7.1 at 3:1 for a 1.6 crop camera (these can be relaxed a bit for a full frame camera by around 2/3 stops).
    Second thing might just be my sharpening routine. I sharpen the jpg from RAW conversion in PS using unsharp mask at 200,1,1 and then normally fade it by 50 %. I then reduce the picture to a size for posting on the web (9cm short side at 180DPI) and then resharpen the result by 200,1,1 but fade it to 30%.
    Only other thing is I often focus stack to increase the DOF.

Brian V.
    edited April 23, 2013
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for the information. It's certainly appreciated. As you know I do shoot most of my images at F11 as I find the DoF achieved it right for what I want. Must admit on the sharpening, I have a completely different method. I've been using the Nik Sharpening software which I can use to brush onto certain areas that need it such as face, wings etc. I'll try your method above and see how it differs.

Focus stacking I am absolutely abysmal at. Can't get the shots in the first place to even stack :D
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2013
    @ IPClark , have you tried / considered manual stacking ?
    it can often help ( software-stacking wont work for me either )
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 23, 2013
    very nice Brian, i need to start looking , only seen bumbles so far headscratch.gif
    edited April 23, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    @ IPClark , have you tried / considered manual stacking ?
    it can often help ( software-stacking wont work for me either )

Bas, I just can't get the shots in the first place to stack. Single shot yeah... succession of shots. Just can't do it. Very frustrating ;)
    edited April 24, 2013
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    very nice Brian, i need to start looking , only seen bumbles so far headscratch.gif
    Thanks Phil :)
    Brian v.
  • carlogallianicarlogalliani Registered Users Posts: 769 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Beautiful shots Brian !
    edited April 25, 2013
    Beautiful shots Brian !
    Thanks Carlo
    Brian V.