Options

Challenge #53 possibility

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited December 4, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
As usual I'm trying to find a macro angle on this.
Do you think either of these would qualify- they are water drops balancing on a water surface before they mix taken at 2:1 magnification and cropped. Some PS work done on levels.

46645820-L.jpg

46645821-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    I think that second one is fantastic!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Your macro work is fantastic, and the creativity is inspiring.Sam
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2005
    Thanks Rahmonster and Sam- enough encouragement to enter it.

Brian V.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Incredible. I also prefer the second one, maybe because the color uniformity is less distracting to the image.
    Chris
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 1, 2005
    Now we're talkin! Macro fluids!!! clap.gif

I play with stuff like this in my lab, and its actually considered work! So I'm curious, what tricks are you playing to get the drops to balance? I'm amazed because for the surface tension to allow a trick like that, you're talking some seriously smaaaaaaal drops. I wouldn't even call them drops because you're giving people the wrong impression - these are tiny droplets!!!

Excellent work! Both scientifically and photographically! thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 1, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Now we're talkin! Macro fluids!!! clap.gif

I play with stuff like this in my lab, and its actually considered work! So I'm curious, what tricks are you playing to get the drops to balance? I'm amazed because for the surface tension to allow a trick like that, you're talking some seriously smaaaaaaal drops. I wouldn't even call them drops because you're giving people the wrong impression - these are tiny droplets!!!

Excellent work! Both scientifically and photographically! thumb.gif
    Not that small- about 3mm in diameter and they only stay like that for about 0.5 secs- I was dropping them from a pasteur pipette. There is some detergent in the drop (you have to drop them from 1.5cms to get them to think about sitting like that) plus although I'm not convinced it's necessary- I put 2 teaspoons of sugar and one of salt in the brandy glass (with water in it) just to increase it's density a tiny bit. I was just trying to take a pic of something I've seen several times when pouring liquids- sometimes a drip hits the surface but does not coalesce immediately- they frequently go skating across the surface.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2005
    Not that small- about 3mm in diameter and they only stay like that for about 0.5 secs- I was dropping them from a pasteur pipette. There is some detergent in the drop (you have to drop them from 1.5cms to get them to think about sitting like that) plus although I'm not convinced it's necessary- I put 2 teaspoons of sugar and one of salt in the brandy glass (with water in it) just to increase it's density a tiny bit. I was just trying to take a pic of something I've seen several times when pouring liquids- sometimes a drip hits the surface but does not coalesce immediately- they frequently go skating across the surface.
    Brian V.
    In that case, I'm very impressed. I do drop impact experiments and I can watch the little satellite droplets actually bounce on the surface before finally coalescing, but those are less than 1mm in diameter. My hats off to you, because what I haven't said is that to see this, I use a high speed CCD camera running about 10,000 frames per second.
    nod.gif

Here's an example: http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/faculty/rothstein/act_r_files/drop_impact_CTAB.avi
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 1, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    In that case, I'm very impressed. I do drop impact experiments and I can watch the little satellite droplets actually bounce on the surface before finally coalescing, but those are less than 1mm in diameter. My hats off to you, because what I haven't said is that to see this, I use a high speed CCD camera running about 10,000 frames per second.
    nod.gif

Here's an example: http://www.ecs.umass.edu/mie/faculty/rothstein/act_r_files/drop_impact_CTAB.avi
    Ah my camera runs at about 1 frame every 5 secs when using flash and RAW , luckily my reaction time isn't too bad, so about .2 secs to register the drop is on the surface, .2 secs to press the shutter just before it disappears- I was actually disappointed not to catch one just disappearing. Liked the AVI BTW- those satellite drops didn't look that small and liked them bouncing.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

Eric, you do this so you can learn how to use the restroom without splashing?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Ah my camera runs at about 1 frame every 5 secs when using flash and RAW , luckily my reaction time isn't too bad, so about .2 secs to register the drop is on the surface, .2 secs to press the shutter just before it disappears- I was actually disappointed not to catch one just disappearing. Liked the AVI BTW- those satellite drops didn't look that small and liked them bouncing.
    Brian V.

Brian, love the shape and color of your image. Somewhat surreal too, which is a good thing. The bright reflection of your light is a bit distracting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Brian, love the shape and color of your image. Somewhat surreal too, which is a good thing. The bright reflection of your light is a bit distracting.
    Thanks wxwax,
    As it was the only clear reflection, I left it. Do you think it would be better if I removed it?

Here's with the flash reflection removed

46747672-L.jpg
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    Liked the AVI BTW- those satellite drops didn't look that small and liked them bouncing.
    Brian V.
    It's all about surface tension - that wasn't just water in the video, it's a very low concentration surfactant. A viscosity modifier commonly found in...

...kitchen soap!

Put a tiny drop of kitchen soap in your water, it makes a world of difference for capturing fluid dynamics on film or video. Adding less than 1% (by weight) surfactant increases the surface tension by almost an order of magnitude.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Eric, you do this so you can learn how to use the restroom without splashing?
    How'd you know?!
    Erik

• Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    Lord V.,

These are truly amazing. After following the thread, I think you should get the award for difficulty of shoot. It's gonna be hard to beat! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2005
    aero-nut wrote:
    Lord V.,

These are truly amazing. After following the thread, I think you should get the award for difficulty of shoot. It's gonna be hard to beat! thumb.gif
    Thanks aeronut,
    Not sure shot difficulty comes into appreciation of the pic though.:): and they were not that difficult...
    Brian V.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Uh, I love the colors, the shapes, everything................but I feel like an idiot as I can't figure out what the reflection is

If you get a chance?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Uh, I love the colors, the shapes, everything................but I feel like an idiot as I can't figure out what the reflection is

If you get a chance?

ginger
    Hi Ginger,
    As the water is colourless and the background was plain apart from the dish the glass was standing in, the fact that you can see it at all is down to all the reflections of light of the water surface in the drop, the drop in the water surface and reflections of the glass edge in both if that makes sense :)
    The fact that the drop was moving actually means many of the reflections are blurred. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :D .

ps Just to add to the confusion an image of anything is actually down the light relected off it rather than being adsorbed on the surface so you can claim any picture is a reflection per se. Differential adsorbtion/reflection of different wavelengths of light is what generates the colours we see.
    Think that's right:):
    Brian V.
  • Options
    AlkhemistAlkhemist Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Wow
    I love these shots. Great work! I think they fit the theme quite well.
    Allen M.
    Alkhemist
    www.alkhemist.smugmug.com

"Photography is a medium of formidable contradictions. It is ridiculously easy and almost impossibly difficult." Edward Steichen
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    I love those shots!!! thumb.gif
    i do like the one without the flash reflection better.