RAW Conversion: Advice Requested

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited December 1, 2005 in Finishing School
I just recently upgraded from a P&S and Photoshop 7 to a 20D and CS2. While I am delighted with all the new toys, I am struggling a bit with the new workflow. Two main questions:

1) What software to use for the initial RAW conversion? Most of what I have done so far has been with Raw Shooter Essentials, which seems to have the best interface for sorting and pruning. I have looked at Adobe Bridge but I’m afraid my computer is too wimpy to use it—everything takes forever, even screen updates of adjusting the sliders. I also have several Canon utilities (ZoomBrowser EX and Digital Photo Professional) that can do RAW conversion. So, which package will give me the best results? Is there a real difference? Which one are you using and why?

2) What adjustments should I be doing at RAW conversion time as opposed to the second stage of processing in CS2? I have been adjusting exposure, shadows, saturation, sharpening and noise reduction in RSE, but CS2 also tools for each of these. Is there any reason to prefer certain adjustments in the RAW conversion stage, or doesn’t it matter?

I have done some experiments, of course, but I value the collective wisdom and experience of Dgrinners. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    I cannot speak to RSE, but others swear by it. I'm a huge fan of Bridge!

As to what adjustments. Starting out with RAW, I'd recommend *only* the following:

white balance and exposure. Nail these, and then work towards others.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    I cannot speak to RSE, but others swear by it. I'm a huge fan of Bridge!

As to what adjustments. Starting out with RAW, I'd recommend *only* the following:

white balance and exposure. Nail these, and then work towards others.
    nod.gif

Andy hits the nail on the head again!