Options

Dilemna on Purchase

cameraicamerai Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited April 25, 2013 in Cameras
Hi -- It is time to upgrade from my D-40. I like Nikon., have an investment in their DX lenses. But I am only a photo person -- no videos. I was looking at some of the more advanced models of Nikon, but they seem to have a lot of video capability, which I would be paying for, but not using.

Any solutions out there?

Thanks,

Camerai

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited April 21, 2013
    I buy equipment which meets my perceived needs. If it has functions beyond what I need, I can accept that. Unless you have an option otherwise, if the "more advanced models of Nikon" have the feature set that you need, and if you don't see any other current models available without video, you may want to look at used models.

For instance, a Nikon D700 has no video capabilities, but its still image feature set is pretty desirable.

If you need to stay in a DX model, the D90 and D300 are still very capable. (The D90 has "some" video capture capability, but it's easy to ignore if you really don't want it.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    There are two branches of the "paying for it, but not using" argument.

Firstly, of course, is the concept that you're paying "extra" for something that you'd rather not pay for. This isn't really the case, though; as cameras have actually gotten more affordable with more features, over the generations. The D7100 is an incredible demonstration of prices falling while features increase!

The second aspect is unfortunately one that few people consider: The buttons and controls and interfaces involved with adding video capability to a camera.

In this respect, I have indeed found that video features have become downright annoying for me to work around.

To be specific: in an effort to accommodate video features, Nikon's latest cameras such as the D800, D600, and D7100 have all had a couple major functionality changes. First is of course, the addition of the dedicated REC button. This required Nikon to push the exposure mode button much further away so that unless you have very large hands, you can't change from Manual exposure to Aperture priority without changing your grip on your camera. Second is the change of the autofocus switches. Previously we had two switches which gave physical positions to six different settings which I used five of quite a lot. Now you do still have access to all of those settings, but changing them requires pressing a rather tiny button that sits within the original AF/MF switch. Nikon did this so that they could change the rear AF switch from dynamic AF control to photo/video control.

These changes are probably minor to most, and even welcomed to anyone who needs to shoot video. But for someone who shoots still photos professionally, in extremely demanding conditions, I really prefer the control layout of my D700 over that of the D800. I could get used to the D800, and there are a few advantages in other controls such as the addition of a bracketing button and dedicated Live View button, but for now I can definitely still appreciate the "oldschool" non-video control layout...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    CRP6001CRP6001 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2013
    It doesn't add much to the cost of a camera to include video. The most recent generation of DSLRs from
    Nikon and Canon all seem to offer video. If you want the latest and greatest, you need to accept that the
    camera will have video capability. I had the same concern as you, but I got over it.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    Key information needed by you:

Price range willing to pay
    Is weight a consideration?
    Are you not wanting video because of cost or just lack of experience with it?

Those factors will lead you in a better direction. None of the new cameras come without video. I love my D90 if that helps. I even added a vertical grip to help balance it out with my 24-70. I use the video every once in a while and I would say it is great to have.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2013
    I feel the same way...
    I resented that Canon left several neat features (which are available on the 1D models) off the 7D but, did include video.

I don't feel so bad now! I never use my DSLR for "video" per se but, I have found a use for low resolution video. I will use video to record information regarding my still images. This is important for travel photography because I don't always remember exactly what I am shooting and the video is linked up with the stills for keeping a "notebook".

OTOH: if the camera had audio record capability (like it darn well should have), I wouldn't need to mess with video at all!

I would also like the following which are absent in the 7Dwings.gif

1. autofocus with a lens of a maximum f/8 aperture
    2. dual card slots
    3. ISO 50 or even ISO 25 to allow slower shutter speeds without needing an ND filter
    4. five shot AEB bursts for better HDR imaging

I realize that some Nikon models have these features but, I am locked into Canon gear and don't intend to switch...

OTOH... I really like most things about my 7D well enough that I have just ordered a second 7D since I always shoot with two cameras! It is nice to shoot with a pair of identical cameras...