Options

Nikon D80 Auto Focus Problem

lovetotakepictureslovetotakepictures Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited April 23, 2013 in Cameras
I'm having an auto focus problem with a D80 and not sure if this is something I need to give up on. The auto focus continually goes in and out and won't lock. It works fine on manual. I've changed every setting and used two different lenses. Does anyone know what would cause this with the camera? Is it worth trying to repair?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,890 moderator
    edited April 22, 2013
    Just so that we are clear, are you saying that when the camera is switched to "manual" focus the "focus confirmation" (light and sound) works properly and the AF section indicates proper focus?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    The light and sound works and the pictures seems to be in focus when I take it in manual. I can see the lens focusing on automatic but it keeps going past the focus point and won't stop there to let me take the picture. I'm not sure what you mean by AF section indicates proper focus. I thought it might be a lens problem but I tried two different lenses and couldn't get it to focus on either. I think I may have a third lens somewhere so if I can find it, I'll try it also. Thanks for any information you can give me.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    It sounds like the rangefinder electronics of the AF section is basically operable. That's a good thing.

Use "mirror lockup"* and look for the AF sensor in the bottom of the mirrorbox. If you have some sort of photographic blower, aim it at the AF sensor and see if you can blow off any dust or hairs from the AF sensor area. Make sure that nothing gets blown towards the the shutter and imager section.

Now close the mirror and check for AF function.

*If you don't know how to activate the mirror lockup on the Nikon D80, read this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7155282_mirror-lock-up-nikon-d80.html
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Also be sure to clean the lens contacts on the body of the camera...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It sounds like the rangefinder electronics of the AF section is basically operable. That's a good thing.

Use "mirror lockup"* and look for the AF sensor in the bottom of the mirrorbox. If you have some sort of photographic blower, aim it at the AF sensor and see if you can blow off any dust or hairs from the AF sensor area. Make sure that nothing gets blown towards the the shutter and imager section.

Now close the mirror and check for AF function.

*If you don't know how to activate the mirror lockup on the Nikon D80, read this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7155282_mirror-lock-up-nikon-d80.html

Thank you for your suggestion. I did figure out how to use the mirror lock up and I think I see where the AF sensor area is. I tried blowing in it. I'm sure this is probably not effective but I'll need to get something else to blow in there (or do you have another method of cleaning it). Could I use one of those cans of air (like for computers)? The blowing in it didn't change the auto focus problem.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    Also be sure to clean the lens contacts on the body of the camera...

I did try cleaning the contacts with a soft cloth and it does seat and lock in well. I can't see anything broken or wrong where the lens connects.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2013
    ... The blowing in it didn't change the auto focus problem.
    I did try cleaning the contacts with a soft cloth and it does seat and lock in well. I can't see anything broken or wrong where the lens connects.

For your peace-of-mind I suggest following through with testing another lens on your camera plus testing "your" lenses on another body, just to completely rule out the lenses as a source of the problem.

Barring a further revelation I'm afraid that at this point, I recommend Nikon service:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2013
    Thanks for your help.
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    For your peace-of-mind I suggest following through with testing another lens on your camera plus testing "your" lenses on another body, just to completely rule out the lenses as a source of the problem.

Barring a further revelation I'm afraid that at this point, I recommend Nikon service:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page

Couldn't get anything to work so just decided to buy a new one (repair was too expensive). Thanks for all your input, at least I know how to clean the new one.

Cindy