Options

Thinking about challenge 127

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,954 Major grins
edited April 22, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
As I said in the thread, when I was reading the poem, I had in my head Jim Croce's song 'If I could save time in a bottle'. I don't know how many of you are old enough to know that song? I have no sense of the time of when music was popular. The difference between that first line and the first line of the poem was that the poem says "If I could catch a rainbow" rather than save.

The poem was a hard idea for me to figure out. I was thinking originally that I would have to see a rainbow in the sky like

x0603-00340001.jpg

And how could I be sure that I would have that chance within the time frame? Well obviously I could not.

But as Bob was driving us to have dinner, my mind was kind of free-wheeling, and I remembered something from the past. How many of you remember the story of Pollyanna and her Glad Game? Probably not very many and most of you that do are probably women as it isn't really a boy's story.

Pollyanna’s philosophy of life is based upon a game she learned from her father when she was very young – the Glad Game. This game came about when Pollyanna, the child of missionaries, was hoping for a doll to arrive for her for Christmas in the missionary barrel. Instead, when the barrel finally arrived, it contained only a pair of crutches! Her wise father made up the Glad Game on the spot, teaching her that they must choose to look upon the good side of life, and be glad about the crutches –because they didn’t need them!

In any case, Pollyanna was making a visit to a bedridden man who wasn't playing the Glad Game and she saw a rainbow made by the sun shining through the the bevelled edge of the glass thermometer in the window. Pollyanna was so entranced that the man got a brass candlestick which had prisms hanging from it and strung the prisms on the window and they made lots of rainbows all over everything.

When I was a little girl I got a big prism, and I could make big rainbows in the sun.

When I remembered that, I decided that was going to be my way to do this challenge. So I got my husband to get up on a chair and take down a candlestick with prisms out of the top of the china cabinet.

IMG_8568.JPG

I also looked in the other china cabinet and saw a cut glass bowl. But I couldn't open the china cabinet because there was stuff in front of the door, and I wasn't able to move it because I was tired and weak. A little later in the week, I came down and moved the stuff around so I could get into the cabinet and took out the cut glass bowl

IMG_8562.JPG

which is VERY heavy as it is lead glass and I was afraid of dropping it. And I also found the top that had broken off of something (I don't know what)

IMG_8549.JPG

I thought that with these props I might be able to illustrate the catching of a rainbow.

I was SO pleased with myself and jealous of my idea.

Anyway it took me a couple more days to gather my energy enough to take the items outside into the sun. I really didn't want to drop the cut glass bowl. I took them out and put them on the hood of my car, which was white. In order to keep them from sliding off, I stuck them into the edge where the windshield wiper is.

And I started to take photos. It was hard for me to hold the items so that I got rainbows and also take the photos - I really needed four hands. And I really couldn't see whether I was getting rainbows. I just kept taking photos
IMG_8551.JPG

IMG_8552.JPG
I when I was out of energy (I have figured out that when I get black spots in front of my eyes it is probably because I am making a big physical effort and am holding my breath), I carefully brought the stuff inside and went to look at what I had.

I found that when I went to correct for color and contrast, the software would turn the white into black

IMG_8569.JPG

And that brought out the rainbows. But I didn't like that bare rainbow because they were short and stubby. Also I wanted to 'catch' the rainbow so I wanted them to be in a hand. When I was taking the pictures I tried to have the rainbow on my hand, but I couldn't hold the prism so the rainbow was on my hand and also press the button to take the photo.

IMG_8550.JPG

So I tried taking a photo of my hand and making a transparent collage out of it.

2013-04-21.jpg

2013-04-20%2520Rainbow.jpg

But my hand has gotten old and fat, and I just didn't like what I got when I did that. So I opted to go with a more mysterious photo that I got when I manipulated the photos a bit

I see that lots of people are having problems with the poem, and I decided that maybe my thought process would help someone to figure it out. And also so that people would know what the title meant.

Bob thinks the background looks like a dinosaur. I think it looks more like mountains which are also in the poem.
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments