Options

Calibrated Monitor screwed up Windows Image Preview

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited April 24, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, I'm stumped. I bought a new X-Rite I1Display Pro and calibrated my monitor like a good boy should. Windows color management panel shows my new monitor ICC profile is set, and I've set this as my default profile. Everything is super, except for one thing. The Windows Photo Viewer (the program that displays photos when you right-click on a photo and select Preview) is messed up. All pictures are dark, contrasty and overly saturated and in general look like crap. No other program seems to have this problem. Photoshop, Quicktime Picture Viewer, Windows Paint, Firefox, etc, all show photos just fine. Even the Extra-Large thumbnails in Windows Explorer look great.

And it's not just my images that are screwed up. It's all images no matter where they came from (internet, windows sample images, etc).

I'm guessing maybe the photo viewer isn't color managed? But that seems hard to believe. I wouldn't care, but I like to use the windows previewer to double-check photos after I export them from LR as JPGs (and yes, I export as sRGBs). And it's just annoying not to be able to preview my photos.

Any ideas how to fix it? I've googled the problem, and there are lots of reports of a previewer tint problem and the most common solution is to change your monitor profile to sRGB. Obviously I don't want to do that because that would erase my custom monitor profile.

Thanks!
-joel

Comments

• Options
    PictusPictus Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 23, 2013
    Use V2 + Matrix and all will be fine.
    v2-matrix.png
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 24, 2013
    Dude, you're right. That fixed it. bowdown.gif

I am honored that your first post in four years of Dgrin membership was to solve my problem. eek7.gifheadscratch.gifdeal.gif

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
    -joel