Options

Specks on my pictures

MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited December 1, 2005 in Technique
Lately, I have noticed 4 big specks on all my pictures. I thought it might be the lense so I cleaned it and changed lenses. But, nope, that's not it. Do y'all think I should take it to a camera shop and have them clean the insides of the camera or should I purchase the cleaning stuff to do it myself? Don't know what is involved in the cleaning...

[If not the right thread, move if needed]

Thanks,
Mel

Comments

• Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Go to a local camera shop and buy a CCD cleaner, they're not too expensive, and they work wonders with dust specks. :)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    It's mega-easy to do yourself
    Cleaning the sensor yourself is really easy with the right tools and the right understanding of the procedure. It only takes a few minutes to perform once mastered.

My prefered method is to use an bulb blower first to clean out the inside of the camera of loose stuff. Sometimes this does the trick, but sometimes there is persistent stuff on the sensor. If that is the case, then I break out the copper hill box, put on my latex gloves and clean the sensor.

I am kind of like the LCD manufacturers too. If there are a few specks off to the edges of the frame after a couple of full passes, I call it good and don't try to get every last speck.

The method is described here:
    http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
    MelP wrote:
    Lately, I have noticed 4 big specks on all my pictures. I thought it might be the lense so I cleaned it and changed lenses. But, nope, that's not it. Do y'all think I should take it to a camera shop and have them clean the insides of the camera or should I purchase the cleaning stuff to do it myself? Don't know what is involved in the cleaning...

[If not the right thread, move if needed]

Thanks,
    Mel
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Thank you! I will definitely give it a try. Thanks!!!

Mel