Options

One bird and one canine

Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
edited April 24, 2013 in Wildlife
The first shot is of a Great Gray Owl; it is perched on a road sign. I almost forgot how to use my camera when it flew up there!
2013-GreatGrayOwl1-L.jpg

A red fox next to the road.
2013-RedFox-L.jpg

These are two animals that I just don't see very often, much less get to photograph. I don't have one of those big long lens so these sort of opportunities don't come along very often. Let me know what you think.

Kristine
"How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2013
    I couldn't extract any EXIF info, but I think you done a remarkably good job. An unforeseen opportunity presented itself and you were prepared and composed enough to catch two fine images.
    The owl may be a little "flat" - it would be interesting to see if you boosted contrast if it would make it "pop" more. The large bright area in the top half is a bit distracting for me. I completely understand that, in this situation, you probably have very little control over this. One thing you might try is a tighter crop to reduce its impact. Say 10-15% from top and 15-20% from the left side. You have captured a good pose - side-on but with the head turned back toward you ... and into the frame. Nice.
    I really like the fox image. I think the pose on the log is wonderful ... and again the fox's head is turned back to the viewer. Again I would crop 20% from the top and turn it into more landscape/panorama ... even square. The white tree trunks in the top half compete for my attention. I love the textures and leading lines ... and that log is priceless. If it were mine, I would try a little boost in vibrancy and contrast ... and maybe a bit of "burn" in the grass area left and right of the log.
    Whilst you have a very, very nice image here, I think you have an even more stunning image within this shot - you might just need to bring it out.
    I would be delighted to have captured either of these. Thanks for sharing.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com