Options

Challenge 53 Entry. Any Thoughts?

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited December 2, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Was out this morning early and caught these with my A-60.

The Fountain

46683881-L.jpg

Dawn

46683884-L.jpg
What do you think?

Joe

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 1, 2005
    I like the second image for its colors and attraction. However, there's a fair amount going on there with the buildings and cranes. Maybe a tighter crop to tone it down just a bit?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    They are both nice shots. For the challenge though the competition is pretty steep. I'd be glad to have either in my portfolio... but to expect a top ten would be tough.

So that's my assessment (hopefully, not too harsh)... now for an attempt at constructive critique:
    The first shot has either too much going on in the background or not enough... I could see going in one direction or the other but don't like the in between where it is at. Also, that the fountain is the focus is clear and is probably where I'd keep it. However, I am not big on the burn out/extreme lightness in the middle of, nor the lack of definition of, the water spray. It's dark out, but I would attempt a faster shutter speed. Potentially this could fix much of what I see wrong, meaning: the background would be tamed, the burnout or near burnout in the center of the spray would be tamed and the water spray itself might become less blurred.

The second one indeed has very nice color, but it is confusing. The cranes and building give me a sense of industrialism, but the green, water, sky and overall tone are very pleasant. I would go, in this instance (since the buildings can't change), with something grittier. Or, find a pleasing subject to match the surroundings. I like ambiguity in art, but this seems a clash more than ambiguity.

An alternative - where the clash might work - would be to aim for a very gritty building/cranes/etc amongst a pleasing surrounding. This shot doesn't qualify for this last idea thus far because of the appearance of the buildings themselves (colorfully lit). I can't say I know how to do this, but it's an idea.

Just so you know, I say this in part because these are some of the ideas I have been pondering for my own entry. I'll probably go for the grittier/funkier side of things this time since so many beautiful shots are entered and I am not at a level to really compete.

When human eyes peer toward much beauty,
    but little sublime -
    attention shall fall to what terrifies.

-me
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.