my first model shoot ever would love some feedback please

skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited May 3, 2013 in People
DSC01191-XL.jpg

DSC01289-XL.jpg

DSC01338-XL.jpg

i like the photos but being my first model shoot how did i do would love some genuine feed bacl from you gys please

Comments

• BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    I'll go first and mostly give you what I've heard from others on here:

#1 The thing that jumps at me is her feet being chopped off at the ankles. It just looks weird to me. Also, she's a bit centered in the image. Crop her off to the side a bit and leave the extra room in the direction she's looking.

#2 I like a lot. Were you using a flash as a hairlight? The light on her hair seems to come from a different direction from the sun. Not a bad thing but you might want to tone it down a bit next time.

#3 I love the idea and the pose but you might have wanted to fill light her in a bit. The exposure for the sunset is terrific but she's at least a stop underexposed.

She's really pretty and I like the poses and ideas. There's a lot of potential in these images. Keep going and keep posting.thumb.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    thanks for the reply in the pool shot she was standing on a small ledge i have others with her feet theother shots is there away to fix them in ps
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 3, 2013
    Wow. This is incredible - the first image is so striking. I like the simplicity and lines.

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    So here is what stood out to me when I saw these:

1. A great shoot and as I scrolled down to see more, the fact that her feet were chopped off killed it. If her feet were in the water it would be a little different, but its obvious that they arent. Its a little centered as I would have moved her into the right third. Lastly I think if you added a little pop of contrast and saturation to her dress this one would be even better!

2. The lighting is good ( a tad flat, but not too bad) but her eyes seem muddy and kind of dark. Also it may be a tad on the orange side, so I would try and cool it down a little bit. Pose, composition, and rim light are great!

3. This one is probably my least favorite of the bunch. She needs to be bumped a little in exposure. If you have PS I would do a duplicate layer and set it to multiply, adjust the opacity so that the sunset and sky pop even more and then mask her out. I would adjust her exposure on a separate layer. The pose is the same as the one before, so its ok, but I would suggest that next time dont let her rest all the way down. It makes her thighs wider, so make her sit up a smidge so it looks like shes all the way down but not. My only other suggestion with this one is to shoot lower and maybe turn her towards the camera instead of shooting her side. By shooting this high you are making her look really small.

I hope these dont come across being rude or over the top. I am far from the best photographer, but I have learned a lot from this forum. I think for a first time these rock as I am pretty sure mine werent even close to this!
    edited May 3, 2013
    So here is what stood out to me when I saw these:

1. A great shoot and as I scrolled down to see more, the fact that her feet were chopped off killed it. If her feet were in the water it would be a little different, but its obvious that they arent. Its a little centered as I would have moved her into the right third. Lastly I think if you added a little pop of contrast and saturation to her dress this one would be even better!

2. The lighting is good ( a tad flat, but not too bad) but her eyes seem muddy and kind of dark. Also it may be a tad on the orange side, so I would try and cool it down a little bit. Pose, composition, and rim light are great!

3. This one is probably my least favorite of the bunch. She needs to be bumped a little in exposure. If you have PS I would do a duplicate layer and set it to multiply, adjust the opacity so that the sunset and sky pop even more and then mask her out. I would adjust her exposure on a separate layer. The pose is the same as the one before, so its ok, but I would suggest that next time dont let her rest all the way down. It makes her thighs wider, so make her sit up a smidge so it looks like shes all the way down but not. My only other suggestion with this one is to shoot lower and maybe turn her towards the camera instead of shooting her side. By shooting this high you are making her look really small.

I hope these dont come across being rude or over the top. I am far from the best photographer, but I have learned a lot from this forum. I think for a first time these rock as I am pretty sure mine werent even close to this!

thats just what i am looking for thanks
    edited May 3, 2013
    o.k here is another shot from the shoot i think this is much better DSC01336-L.jpg
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    This one is much better. I would still get a little lower and a little tighter. If you have her turn towards the camera you can recompose tighter and still get the sky and sunset in the background. It would also help create better light falloff on her face. I think this one is much better than the rest though so you are getting somewhere! If it were me I would still pop that sunset!
    edited May 3, 2013
    could you show me what you mean by making the sun pop more i got ps but no idea how to use it bit of a dummy when it comes to that
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2013
    1st shot is really nice,,breaks some rules but it works. I might try a BW on that with more exposure and contrast just for kicks.

2nd shot is framed and posed well (except her neck is just touch scrunched). My only nit here is that her face looks a bit "dirty"..might be the hair and or local contrast.

2nd version of 3rd shot..well done here as well.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited May 3, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    1st shot is really nice,,breaks some rules but it works. I might try a BW on that with more exposure and contrast just for kicks.

2nd shot is framed and posed well (except her neck is just touch scrunched). My only nit here is that her face looks a bit "dirty"..might be the hair and or local contrast.

2nd version of 3rd shot..well done here as well.

thanks qarik just had a closer look and it is hair in her face i live on a very windy island and dont no enough about photoshop to edit it