The Keeper

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited May 7, 2013 in People
Here is my latest attempt, this time for our girls soccer team.

Believable?

Tried to go for a softer less contrasty look this time.

Thoughts, opinions?

i-QBfgdqX-X2.jpg
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2013
    I like it but I always like the more contrasty stuff. Lets see both.
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    Awesome!
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 5, 2013
    Wow, great photo.

Thanks for sharing.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    I like the overall image and the composite is well done.
    Where the credibility is lost for me is in the face.
    I would expect the expression an action shot like this is representing to be one of intensity, focus and concentration. She looks too happy to be exerting that much energy.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »

Thanks Hack, as always I appreciate your input. I'll try to punch it up a bit and see what happens.
    Awesome!

Thanks Eph. Much appreciated
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Wow, great photo.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! It took me awhile to figure this one out, and when I thought I had something I went and made breakfast. When I returned, the computer had locked and I had not saved and I lost it all. :cry But, I think this version came out better. (You'll have to take my word on that as the other version went to play on a farm where it has lots of room to run and play.)
    I like the overall image and the composite is well done.
    Where the credibility is lost for me is in the face.
    I would expect the expression an action shot like this is representing to be one of intensity, focus and concentration. She looks too happy to be exerting that much energy.

I hear you ARK, and agree. We had a conversation about that very thing we we shot the girls, but the problem is that I haven't found a way to get a 6th grade girl to look intense and determined on demand. They either look very angry or they bite lips make odd faces or tongues come out or other things that don't quite work either. I figured at least this way her mom will see her little girl with a nice smile. And then later, as I looked at it, I thought it gave the shot a whimsical effortless kinda feel to it (but that could just be me rationalizing the shot I got eek7.gif). But, thanks again for looking and your input ARK!

That being said if anyone knows a technique or gimmick that will help with the expressions, I will certainly give it a try. Just telling them to "imagine that it is game time and that this is the play that will win the game", just does't quite get the job done
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    Nice job! After a closer look, and can't believe no one else spotted it, that the shadow cast is wrong. Looking at the shadow, I'm guessing you shot her jumping in the air, and then you rotated her on the background. Other than the shadow, I think you did an awesome job!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited May 5, 2013
    Gary752 wrote: »
    Nice job! After a closer look, and can't believe no one else spotted it, that the shadow cast is wrong. Looking at the shadow, I'm guessing you shot her jumping in the air, and then you rotated her on the background. Other than the shadow, I think you did an awesome job!

GaryB

Hmmm, I put the shadow on the shadow side of the subject...where should it go? I'm open to suggestions.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    I thinks it's pretty darn neat.

First impression was that she was too far out in front of the net to be making that play...but...my mind works hockey and soccer isn't really my thing so it may be perfectly correct.

Shadow looks natural to me. I really don't think you even need it there, but if I saw it without I might change my mind.

To get a teen girl to look intense. Tell her you have her cell phone and aren't giving it back! :D
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Hmmm, I put the shadow on the shadow side of the subject...where should it go? I'm open to suggestions.

The shadow is at the right place, but looking at the shadow itself, it just looks wrong to me , given the light placement, or at least how it looks it was lit, and how the girl is in the photo.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited May 6, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »

OK Hack, I bumped up the blacks, edge contrast and structure a bit...better or worse? Too much or too little?

i-dC3WBk8-X2.jpg
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 7, 2013
    First, absolutely a fantastic and conceived shot. A comment on the shadow: It looks like its in the right place, but like Gary mentioned, doesn't look right. Appears more like a hole in the ground. Perhaps if you blur the shadow (a lot) more? As it is, the edges are too sharp and it sticks out as the second thing I see. More properly, one's eye shouldn't ever try to dissect the shadow in a shot, and this one, it just jumps out.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky