Options

Christian Science Church

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited December 4, 2005 in Landscapes
This picture of the Christian Science Church in Boston was taken yesterday in RAW at iso 3200, 1/13 second at f 5.0 with my 20d. Focal length was 41 mm using the 17-85 mm lens. It is noisy, but does capture the way the sky looked.

46718296-L.jpg

Email

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    a "christian science" church???

sounds like an oxymoron to merolleyes1.gif

great photo. thumb.gif maybe photoshop a little more for noise reduction? ne_nau.gif it isn't too noticable.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    Daniel and Fred. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :):

Daniel. I already applied noise reductrion to the whole picture using Neat Image. Then sharpening with Focus Magic. I think that more noise reduction would have blurred the details too much. A certain amount of noise is pretty inevitable when you shoot night shots at iso 3200. If anybody wants to try to clean it up more without softening it too much, I'd be pleased to see the result. The original is here: http://flyinggina.smugmug.com/photos/46718296-L.jpg

Fred. Yes, it was a very creepy light. That's what drew me to take the picture. :D

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    BystanderBystander Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    This picture of the Christian Science Church in Boston was taken yesterday in RAW at iso 3200, 1/13 second at f 5.0 with my 20d. Focal length was 41 mm using the 17-85 mm lens. It is noisy, but does capture the way the sky looked.

46718296-L.jpg

Great photo -- noise adds drama in this case imo.

Here's one of mine (yours is much more interesting, I think -- you did capture the sky beautifully) -- pocket Olympus C-7000 (20d was resting) Its soft and noisy but I like it -- took it on the way to a concert -- hand held at about 1/10.
    46788203-L.jpg
    My SmugMug Gallery

http://frank-winters.artistwebsites.com/

Seeking the Decisive Moment, thanks Henri
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    Wow, Bystander. That is a beautiful picture. Were you on your way to the Symphony?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    BystanderBystander Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Wow, Bystander. That is a beautiful picture. Were you on your way to the Symphony?

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

Thanks for the Wow! Always appreciated!

As to what we were doing -- we were on our way to Symphony Hall, but it was a Leon Redbone/Van Morrison concert, not the BSO. Hope to see them soon.

Cheers,
    Frank
    My SmugMug Gallery

http://frank-winters.artistwebsites.com/

Seeking the Decisive Moment, thanks Henri
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Very nice. I've been by there a few times in the sweet light this fall and thought I should shoot it. Once I even had a camera and wide angle. But that time my wife was driving and in "if you tell me to turn left, I'll turn right" mode, so I told her to stop and she went.

Both shots very nice, actually. I'll have to think of something more interesting if I decide to go shoot it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    I love that toned photo! And it doesn't look noisy to me. Anything at a high ISO out of my 20D is noisy.

How do you get the ISO to 3200, I only notice mine going up to 1600. I have wondered if there wasn't some way it went higher.

The quality of your shot made me think you had a "better" camera than a 20D. And I do love the sky, too.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    Great photo! I like taking pictures of churches, they have such interesting designs.

Rob
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    How do you get the ISO to 3200, I only notice mine going up to 1600. I have wondered if there wasn't some way it went higher.

There is a Custom Function called Expanded ISO. If you set it you can set ISO to 3200 or High, I forget which. Either way, it's 3200.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    There is a Custom Function called Expanded ISO. If you set it you can set ISO to 3200 or High, I forget which. Either way, it's 3200.
    Thanks, Rutt, for passing this hint on. A friend of mine told me about it shortly after I got my 20d last summer. Don't know why Canon doesn't just set it up so you have ixo 3200 from the get go, but they don't. Once you make the change, you don't have to think about it again. Except, of course, to remember to set the iso back to 200 the nexst day. rolleyes1.gif

Email
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2005
    I am on the road using someone else's computer so not able to respond the way I would like but want you to know I did see your posts. Thanks to all of you for your comments. Rutt, you will find lots of great photo ops around the Christian Science church. It is worth a visit to the area on foot to check out the possibilities. Ginger, I'm glad you like the photo. Noise doesn't bother me in certain circumstances and I know one just has to accept it when using a very high iso. I haven't had a chance to print it yet and that will be the true test. In any event, it is fun to see how much noise you can get rid of while retaining a fairly sharp photo. Always a new challenge, right?

Virginia

Email