Getting More Comfortable With the 70-200 2.8

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited May 8, 2013 in People
Forcing myself to use this lens at least a third of the time in outdoor portrait settings. Starting to get more comfortable with it and certainly becoming more appreciative of its capabilities.

1. 85mm 1/1250 at f 2.8 ISO 100 with a shoot through

webNauts-121rt-L.jpg

2. 200mm 1/500 at f 2.8 ISO 100 with a shoot through. Missed focus a touch on the left side of her face, but it kind of works.

webNauts-139rt-L.jpg

Comments

• tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 6, 2013
    Like the soft light on your first portrait. Good work.
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    Both nice but #2 is lovely. Love her eyes and how you accented the jaw line. On a heavy person that is difficult to do.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    I do like the second one also. Very pretty and a lovely portrait.

Sherry
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
  • TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    I love my 70-200. I found though the 2.8 all the way out DOF is very shallow so both eyes are not in focus if they are turned to any degree. I just pop I up a stop or two and I goes away yet you get the same look. It is my go to outdoor portrait lens.
  • skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    white lighting did u use in the first shot i like it
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Lovely young lady. Glad you're starting to like your 70-200 - I'll tell you that since I got it mine has become my go-to lens for almost EVERYTHING. I still hate the weight but, having finally caved and bought one, I at last understand why so many people put up with the aching shoulders and wrists to use it.... lol

The first one. Hmm. As a curvy gurl myself, I know I'd be pretty frustrated with that front thigh. As a photographer, I can't decide whether the shadow minimizes the leg, or just makes it look bigger as the actual thigh blends into the shadow. I've been looking at this for a while trying ot figure out how you could pose her on that tree to minimize that effect; the only thing I can think would have been a higher angle (and maybe even a higher angle with a wider lens, to use the distortion to minize her lower half?)

As always, your beautiful lighting, and trademark classic style! thumb.gif
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    tomnovy wrote: »
    Like the soft light on your first portrait. Good work.
    Thanks!
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Both nice but #2 is lovely. Love her eyes and how you accented the jaw line. On a heavy person that is difficult to do.
    Thanks Charles. Stretch, lift, turn and light. :)
    slpollett wrote: »
    I do like the second one also. Very pretty and a lovely portrait.

Sherry
    Thank you Sherry. The softness on the left still bugs me a bit. But that pose makes her look so nice I just can't toss it.
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    both very nice. good work!
    Thank you sir.
    Tinstafl wrote: »
    I love my 70-200. I found though the 2.8 all the way out DOF is very shallow so both eyes are not in focus if they are turned to any degree. I just pop I up a stop or two and I goes away yet you get the same look. It is my go to outdoor portrait lens.

Good pointer. I think 4 or 5.6 might be the way to go for the extreme zoom
    edited May 7, 2013
    skippy77 wrote: »
    white lighting did u use in the first shot i like it

Rather bright sunlight slightly behind the subject camera right and a SB 800 speedlight into a shoot through umbrella placed close to the subject and above camera left. Feathered to not have light fall on her bottom half.
    divamum wrote: »
    The first one. Hmm. As a curvy gurl myself, I know I'd be pretty frustrated with that front thigh. As a photographer, I can't decide whether the shadow minimizes the leg, or just makes it look bigger as the actual thigh blends into the shadow. I've been looking at this for a while trying ot figure out how you could pose her on that tree to minimize that effect; the only thing I can think would have been a higher angle (and maybe even a higher angle with a wider lens, to use the distortion to minize her lower half?)

As always, your beautiful lighting, and trademark classic style! thumb.gif

I was waiting to see if someone mentioned that! I took great pains with this pose to make sure her bottom was going to be in a shadow. Like you, I had mixed feelings when I looked at the result and if it accomplished the goal to minimise size.

I'm posting another version (and a couple others designed to "minimise") that used the burn tool to darken the lower half. Would be interested to see if you thought it works better.

Thanks

webNauts-121rtburn-L.jpg

webNauts-112rt-L.jpg

webNauts-109rt-L.jpg
  • MarcigMarcig Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    I'm new, and don't critique much...but I think the first one looks great in terms of minimizing the thigh! I love the background as well. I just think the head tilt reminds me of a school portrait a bit. "ok, sit straight, hands on knees, look this way, and tilt your head to the right."

The second one is beautiful. I see what you are saying about the softness, but SO pretty. #4 and 5 are good too. In #5 I'm distracted by the tree stumps behind her. I almost expect her to put her right arm on top of them. :)

Lastly, one tip i read somewhere, was to (when possible) dress the subject in longer sleeves since the eye is drawn to the arm (because of the bare skin) as opposed to the face.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    I think a higher angle would have fixes most of it, Bryce - skinny minnies look great shot from below, but padded gals, typically not so much.... I find that on this monitor the shadow from the thigh blends in too much with the actual leg and thus makes it bigger; not sure how it would look in a print.

I think #4 is your real winner of the ones you posted - very nice shot. You have her on her back leg and nice triangles of space to emphasise her waist, but I'm thinking you could have minimized her derrier even a little more if you'd had her shoot her hip to her right as well, so it was pushing away from the camera; this would have added a little more arch to her back to enhance the waist too. (I hasten to add that this is WAY easier in theory than in practice, so take with a grain of salt!!)
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Nice work overall Bryce. I have the 70-200 f4 IS (I'm too lazy to carry the f2.8) and I love that lens to death outdoors.

Agree with Diva that # 4 is the top followed closely by # 2.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
    edited May 7, 2013
    Bilsen wrote: »
    Nice work overall Bryce. I have the 70-200 f4 IS (I'm too lazy to carry the f2.8) and I love that lens to death outdoors.

Agree with Diva that # 4 is the top followed closely by # 2.

Thanks...to me, 2 would have been the hands down winner except for the focus issue. THAT wouldn't have happened with my 105 prime!

I don't know why, but for some reason (most likely comfort with what I'm used to) I still prefer using two bodies with the 35-70 2.8 and 105 2.8.

Gotta give an old guy creds for trying to learn new tricks though right?
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    Beautiful portraits, I love it.

She looks very relaxed and natural, thank you for sharing.

Marcelo