Options

My favorite Oak...

superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
edited June 17, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Philosophical question: Healing the lightening rod grounding pipe to HUGELY improve the shot yea or nay? Is it "improper"?

p1582176650-5.jpg
Accidents and Inspiration
One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2013
    That is a truly awesome Oak! Is it a Live Oak (variety)?

My favorite is in my Parent's backyard! thumb.gif
    A real good climbing tree!

:D
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Wow - beautiful!!!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2013
    Thanks! That is a Live Oak. It's called "Treaty Oak" and they've built a small park around it. It's one of my favorite places to check on regularly. The light and shadows under and around there can be really tricky. It's a fun challenge. I'm yet to stop by there at dusk/sunset. Some good possibilities yet to be found I think.
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Hi, if it were me I would remove the lightening rod - but it is a good shot as it is.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2013
    You're Right R Jay. It is a lot better. I just had to know.

p1597341680-5.jpg
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    Much Better! What a Tree!
    Nicely balanced exposure.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    Philosophical question: Healing the lightening rod grounding pipe to HUGELY improve the shot yea or nay? Is it "improper"?

It is improper, but a better image. Always torn with these choices.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    It is improper, but a better image. Always torn with these choices.

imho - Propriety is often dependent on the intended purpose of the image... If for fun, art, advertising, etc., anything goes - if to create a record, then accuracy counts. We all do variable amounts of image manipulation and it's hard to generalize "proper-ness". In this case, we would never know what we were missing if Steve didn't share it with us first, and I have a sneaking suspicion that's the case in many images we see - I know I'm guilty as charged.... mwink.gif
    To paraphrase someone; You'll have to pry my Clone Stamp from my cold dead fingers...:D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,883 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    imho - Propriety is often dependent on the intended purpose of the image... If for fun, art, advertising, etc., anything goes - if to create a record, then accuracy counts. We all do variable amounts of image manipulation and it's hard to generalize "proper-ness". In this case, we would never know what we were missing if Steve didn't share it with us first, and I have a sneaking suspicion that's the case in many images we see - I know I'm guilty as charged.... mwink.gif
    To paraphrase someone; You'll have to pry my Clone Stamp from my cold dead fingers...:D

Totally agree.
  • Options
    stphotographystphotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2013
    Really great shot!
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2013
    Thank everyone for the comments. After giving it some thought I think that cloning out the conduit is the "best" or "correct" of "OK" way to go. My goal was not to create a record of the location but to convey the emotional impact of what it's like to stand in front of this marvelous tree. I feel like I accomplished that and if doing a bit of minor (emphasis on minor) editing helps with that then so much the better. I continue to try to reconcile this notion from image to image as it pops up and I think this is going to be my general guideline.

Do I better convey the emotional impact while maintaining as much "integrity" as is practical.
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2013
    I love venerable trees. This is a fine example, and I agree with the removal of the rod. Looked this up, correct me if wrong: Jacksonville, FL (Quercus virginiana) Southern Live Oak, 250 years.

-Len
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2013
    Colors and exposure are nicely done and the composition does give me an idea of the majesty of this oak. It must be beautiful to see. I agree with Eric's assessment about the purpose of the image being the reason to clone or not to clone. In this case, I think the image is significantly enhanced by the removal of the rod--and a fine job with the cloning too.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    Colors and exposure are nicely done and the composition does give me an idea of the majesty of this oak. It must be beautiful to see. I agree with Eric's assessment about the purpose of the image being the reason to clone or not to clone. In this case, I think the image is significantly enhanced by the removal of the rod--and a fine job with the cloning too.

Lauren
    Thanks Much!
    I love venerable trees. This is a fine example, and I agree with the removal of the rod. Looked this up, correct me if wrong: Jacksonville, FL (Quercus virginiana) Southern Live Oak, 250 years.

-Len
    Yes. That's the one.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2013
    i agree it's better without the rod. my biggest issue with this photo is the lack of shadows. the HDR is so overdone that the image looks flat and unrealistic. the shadows that would be present on a bright day are just not there. i understand compensating for deep shade, but it needs to be done judiciously to avoid looking "overcooked"...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2013
    squirl033 wrote: »
    i agree it's better without the rod. my biggest issue with this photo is the lack of shadows. the HDR is so overdone that the image looks flat and unrealistic. the shadows that would be present on a bright day are just not there. i understand compensating for deep shade, but it needs to be done judiciously to avoid looking "overcooked"...

Yes and yes. Its deliberate. I didn't set out to make it HDR and honestly have not thought of it as such. It's an edited single frame. But I see your point and it's a fair one. But truth be told this was more or less the result I was targeting... shrug..