Medocrity Visits.

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited May 8, 2013 in People
Hi all,

You all know I've done a ton of shoots over the last several months and am just gearing up for my first love, outddor locations.

This weekend I did a shoot with a 1st time model and had somewhat disappointing results overall. Very pretty girl and really nice BUT one, or both of us, were just off. Too many same faces, too many same or just bad poses, fighting the sun the whole time (she could only shoot at 2:00 PM) and just a couple of hundred frames of mediocrity.

I am not blaming the model since I believe it's my job to direct the shoot. For some reason, be it her or my just being a bit burned out, things just didn't click. Funny part is that the next day I shot with one of my regulars and it was just terrific.

Ever had this happen? What did you do??
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Been there, done that....sympathize with you.

I've actually spoke with the model and said hey, lets start all over again....who are you, what do you like to do, etc. Lets do some jumping jacks get the blood flowing. Sounds stupid but it has worked for me. Tried to do only new poses......don't sit in that chair the normal way.....lets find a new way to use it....turn it over and sit where your not supposed to. Ok, do a pose.......ok now just stretch it a tad more.......ok, new pose.....now do it again the other side.

Now every once in awhile I'm just plain stupid and nothing clicks. Just shut it down or hope the client likes what you did.

I had a senior bring in 5 brown t shirts.....my mind said OH GOD, the mood just shut down and I was on auto pilot.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Don't photograph models, just everyday people, but...

Did have a senior last year that was stiff as a board. Couldn't get any smiles and they were nervous as all get out. Tried my usual schtick to no avail.

Finally as I was bending over to get a lens out of my pelican, I let one rip and stood up with an embarrassed look on my face and a shoulder shrug and said, "You should see what happens later when I have you pull my finger"

Tension was gone...shoot went pretty well after that. Every time he got stiff, I just said, "OK, now pull my finger."
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2013
    Thanks Hack. Fortunately I recovered pretty quickly the next day with Anna.
    p1582057224-3.jpg

Still, I shoot all TF so I hate to let a model waste a shoot. Then again, so do I hate to waste one.

Bryce, you are very creative.rolleyes1.gifrofl
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    Gosh - Best advice to give, it's ok to put the camera down and just hang out for a couple of minutes - start over again, like charles said, but don't let the model know. We work with agency models -- have you tried asking model agencies if you could test out some of there newer models? - it is a world of difference and you'll get more than one look. Plus - you'll be using the industry to get ahead - it benefits everyone, just a thought. Glad you had a better shoot the following day - Keep it up.
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    Thanks Klinh,

The agency route is an interesting idea. thumb.gif Still, living in NY is a double edged sword. While there are hundreds of models in my area (which explains my crew of regulars), it's also the home of some of the best photographers in the world. I may give it a try but, honestly, I'm not optimistic about an agency being interested in a mere hobby player.
  • shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    Your welcome,
    Frequently agencies serve two industries and have three divisions - actors and actresses, lifestyle and models. Just introduce yourself at first letting them know who you are. Trust me - they know your agenda, but most of time are just seeing if you are a friendly laid back person. Let them know that if they ever need your assistance for actor / actress head shots that your just a phone call away. Don't start with their models if you don't have the confidence. Not many people realize that the agencies are on the constant lookout for people to network with - they don't view them as being a business and within reach - which causes photographers to always shoot the people they know - which is nice, but that's just too much of a comfort zone. Anyway......enough rambling on --- give it try, I bet the pressure will cause you to step up your game :) You never know when an agency photographer has an emergency and can't cover a shoot. Wouldn't be great if just a few days earlier someone by the name of Bilsen stopped by. Swing by my website - and see the difference between the Fashion Link (with pro commercial models) and the Portraiture section --- its huge. GOOD LUCK!!!!
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com