Options

Cheap power inverters.

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
edited May 9, 2013 in Accessories
Road trips have a funny way of needing to be 'plugged in'. I found a cheap solution for the basic needs of battery charging. It's the Rhino 150W Power Inverter. Plugs into a cigarette lighter. There are others out there too. Some include USB ports. The 150w model has two 120V outlets. I got mine at Fry's but they're available from Amazon and the like too. I paid $25 for mine.

150w.jpg

Perfect for charging batteries. Not so good for running lights or sensitive electronics. Also, be aware that you're running from a cigarette lighter and the amount of current you can draw is limited and you should not exceed that number. For me, it's 120w. Your vehicle might be different.
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    ... and the amount of current you can draw is limited and you should not exceed that number. For me, it's 120w. Your vehicle might be different.

Assuming your car has a 12v system, then recommended max current drain is 10A.

I'd have thought there should be no problems running / operating mains powered lights if using either lo-energy types (typically 7 - 20w in uk) or LED devices ... since you'd be able to access 60W / channel.

pp
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2013
    I should have used the same units of measure. But yes, 10A on the receptacle in my car. Another car might be different (especially an older car) so before you go out and get an inverter, check your car's specs if you plan on running it from an existing outlet.

If you want to power an Alien Bee for example; according to the manufacturer, you need to power it with a pure sine wave inverter. I'm not sure that's what this is-my guess is it's a modified sine wave which will run electric motors and the like but is not recommended. I base my guess on the unit's cheap price and the fact it says it will run a motor driven appliance.
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2013
    Ugh. Mine set me back $56K
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2013
    Did it come from Quiet Power or APC?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited May 9, 2013
    Ugh. Mine set me back $56K
    ian408 wrote: »
    Did it come from Quiet Power or APC?

rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2013
    Power = Volts X Amps = Watts
    Example 12 volts X 10 amps = 120 watts

I would look in the vehicle manual to see the fuse panel diagram and determine exactly the size of fuse your lighter or auxiliary power supply has.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited May 9, 2013
    Regardless of a vehicle's power capacity, I have had problems with the cheaper modified sine wave units above 300W. Specifically, both my father and myself burned out alternators on two different vehicles using 400W Vector brand inverters. We didn't know that we both had purchased the same inverter until after we talked together about the alternator failures.

I still use that inverter occasionally, but only on a deep-discharge battery and only for very specific uses, like an electric drill or Dremel (or other brushed motor appliance).

My favorite is a Wagan Tech, 300W, Pure Sine Wave inverter. While it wasn't a trivial expense (I see them selling for around $160USD), it does run more electronics devices safely. No problems so far with automotive alternators.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums