Options

Connecting the 1Dx via the LAN

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited May 13, 2013 in Cameras
Does anyone have a good reference on how to connect the 1Dx on a network either via a router or direct to the computer. I've tried and failed numerous times and just need to be give a step by step guide which is idiot proof.

Cheers/Peter
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited May 7, 2013
    It would be helpful to know exactly what you want to do with the LAN connection. For instance, do you wish to have the camera push image files to the computer as you shoot? If not, then what is it you want to do?

It would also be helpful to know what exactly computer OS you are running, as that will affect the connection procedure. (You'll need to find out your computer's IP Address, and whether it is dynamically assigned (DHCP) or manually assigned.)

A computer with a Gigabit Ethernet controller is highly recommended.

Have your Canon "EOS-1DX Wired LAN Instruction Manual" handy, or grab a copy here:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300007978/01/1dx-wiredlan-im-en.pdf

Start reading from page 9 of that manual, just to familiarize yourself.

Connecting to the computer directly should be possible if you use a crossover type cable capable of Gigabit transfer speeds. (Cat 5e for a short run of 5-6ft, or Cat 6 for longer runs.)

Some, but not all, Gigabit Ethernet controllers will also use straight patch cables. A crossover cable should work with all Gigabit controllers (as I understand the situation).

If you use a switch or router (as a switch) then a straight patch cable is best. We may need to know the exact model of switch/router if you want help with that too (which may, or may not, be necessary.)

Once we know your answers to the two questions in the first section and you have an appropriate cable (depending on your preference of direct to computer or through a switcher/router), we should be able to provide more assistance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2013
    Ziggy,

Thanks for the feedback. The main reason for using the network connection is to transfer files and if possible use the LAN connection for remote tethering in Lightroom (but not sure if this is possible)

I'm using an iMac with 10.8.3 OSX. I do have LAN cables here that I use to connect network devices to routers, e.g. DVD, TV, Apple HDD, etc.

Thanks for any and all help to get this working.

Cheers/Peter
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It would be helpful to know exactly what you want to do with the LAN connection. For instance, do you wish to have the camera push image files to the computer as you shoot? If not, then what is it you want to do?

It would also be helpful to know what exactly computer OS you are running, as that will affect the connection procedure. (You'll need to find out your computer's IP Address, and whether it is dynamically assigned (DHCP) or manually assigned.)

A computer with a Gigabit Ethernet controller is highly recommended.

Have your Canon "EOS-1DX Wired LAN Instruction Manual" handy, or grab a copy here:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300007978/01/1dx-wiredlan-im-en.pdf

Start reading from page 9 of that manual, just to familiarize yourself.

Connecting to the computer directly should be possible if you use a crossover type cable capable of Gigabit transfer speeds. (Cat 5e for a short run of 5-6ft, or Cat 6 for longer runs.)

Some, but not all, Gigabit Ethernet controllers will also use straight patch cables. A crossover cable should work with all Gigabit controllers (as I understand the situation).

If you use a switch or router (as a switch) then a straight patch cable is best. We may need to know the exact model of switch/router if you want help with that too (which may, or may not, be necessary.)

Once we know your answers to the two questions in the first section and you have an appropriate cable (depending on your preference of direct to computer or through a switcher/router), we should be able to provide more assistance.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited May 9, 2013
    We're waaay out of my expertise and I don't have most of the equipment you wish to use, so some of this is just conjecture.

I believe that Lightroom (LR) is designed for USB tethered shooting. I don't see any description of Ethernet tethered support for LR. (Specifically, the Canon 1D-X appears to use USB 2, HS.)

The Ethernet connection "is" supported for file transfer and remote capture, but it requires the use of the Canon EOS Utility "or" you need to set up your computer as a WFT Server and then use a browser application to control the camera and transfer files.

The Canon EOS Utility is probably the easiest method and the latest version appears to work with Mac OS X Lion. Will the EOS Utility work for your application?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    Well, there is no DHCP on the 1Dx so you have to configure the camera manually.

You just need a normal network cable. If you want it to connect to a laptop (to download as you shoot) a normal cable works due to the fact Gigabit ethernet is auto-switching, meaning it will turn the cable into a crossover type cable if needed.

I do not use it connected to a network, but I do connect it directly to a laptop which has an FTP server setup on it (FileZilla) and when I shoot it downloads to a folder inside the server and is then pulled in using Live Ingest in PhotoMechanic to add data to the files (cut line for news, slug, etc, all news stuff.)

Again, connecting it to a network you need to basically copy your computer settings into the camera, then just change the IP address to something that does not exist on the network. From there you should have a variety of tools that can "see" the camera to use it for downloading, live shooting, transferring files, etc.

I will say this. The Gigiabit Ethernet is PAINFULLY slow compared to a USB3 card reader. CPS told me this is because the read-rate internally isn't nearly as high as what a USB 3 card reader can do. I was quite disappointed and in fact the USB2 reader I have is faster downloading a lexar 1000x card than is using the network and transferring all.

Some little things I don't like about shooting tethered. You have to wait for the cam to send the files before you can voice annotate (if you use that function) and once you annotatge you have to hit send to transfer the file again with the audio..