Options

Mini Challenge #164: Juxtaposition

2»

Comments

• Options
    JRomieJRomie Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2013
    I enter two, each taken in an opposite direction from the other. The juxtaposition in both could be called "trees VS buildings" and, I suppose that in the second could also be called "old" (St. Paul's Chapel - the oldest in-use building in NYC) VS "new(er)" (the buildings on either side).

20130401-F0119-HBW-M.jpg

20130401-F0110_09_08-Edit-M.jpg
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2013
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thank you for giving the option to see larger versions! I looked through the gallery the other night and could see larger versions of some but not all. (I do understand the pros and cons in making larger photos available though, so no problem if it is not an option to open a larger version with all entries.)

I actually didn't do anything special for this. The entries are embedded links from the gallery I made for this subject, with photos collected from other galleries.
    - By chance I noticed that on click, the images open to a larger format - have no idea why...

*In other words, everybody with embedded links from their SmugMug galleries, benefit from exactly the same feature - I just thought to mention it... :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2013
    kentwaller wrote:
    3. ancient tradition, modern habit
    IMG_2508-S.jpg

Love this :)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2013
    I also love this:
    DonRicklin wrote:

1) Young ballerina and man at bath:
    IMGP5266-L.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2013
    One of my favorite things about participating in these MCs is wading through my archives, each new MC theme forcing me to look at every blessed one of my images a bit differently.

I like the minis' for the same reason: they make me go and find photos longtime forgotten, or never edited and see them with other eyes, in a different light and perspective - a wonderful learning experience :D
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited May 12, 2013
    travelways wrote: »
    I actually didn't do anything special for this. The entries are embedded links from the gallery I made for this subject, with photos collected from other galleries.
    - By chance I noticed that on click, the images open to a larger format - have no idea why...

*In other words, everybody with embedded links from their SmugMug galleries, benefit from exactly the same feature - I just thought to mention it... :)

Like you, I post images to a gallery for the mini and then embed a link to it in the mini thread. Clicking on the image will take the viewer to the gallery but they can only see a larger version if one's gallery settings are set to allow it. In the last mini (sense of place), clicking on one of my entries would open it automatically at the largest size I allowed in the settings - in this case X2Large. Tatiana, your images open at the same size in the gallery as in the thread - Large - unless one clicks on a link for a larger size. And I was happy to click through to a larger size. :D

There are images in this thread with a link below it saying "full size" but many of these links just open the image in a new window without giving the option to see it larger. Sort of wish I hadn't tried clicked on so many "full size" links.... But the important thing is to have fun with this challenge!

I have already started making a large collection of favorites and will keep adding to it until the mini ends. And then will come the hardest part!

All the best,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2013
    I also love this:

Thank you, Tatiana! thumb.gif

I couldn't resist the combination. Especially with this challenge in mind! :D

This is my favorite Degas, though I like the one at the Clark Institute better.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2013
    IMGP5266-S.jpg I too love this one - great crop, and excellent example of deliberate pov juxtaposition.

Thanks too, Gretchen, for the link to the jux article. I indeed missed the link in your original MC intro post. Nonetheless, I think I managed to interpret the notion as intended in my trio of entries.

As always, a most interesting bundle of entries here!
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • Options
    kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2013
    Love this :)

thanks Tatiana!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    Headlights
    Headlights-XL.jpg

Tropical Tan
    Coppertone-XL.jpg

The Goddess'
    The%20Goddess-XL.jpg

Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    Hi Gretchen and all

Love the theme. And some great entries so far.
    Here are mines:

1. I prefer leaves but...

zoo10-L.jpg

(Note: this is a real one shot photo taken at Taronga zoo in Sydney)

2. Rock or metal bridge, I can climb it all!

zoo12-L.jpg

3. As long as it moves forward...

India20-L.jpg

Claire
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    IMGP5266-S.jpg I too love this one - great crop, and excellent example of deliberate pov juxtaposition.

Thanks too, Gretchen, for the link to the jux article. I indeed missed the link in your original MC intro post. Nonetheless, I think I managed to interpret the notion as intended in my trio of entries.

As always, a most interesting bundle of entries here!
    Thank you, TravelnLass, for the notice and kind words! I couldn't help but shoot this one! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    Nice theme Gretchen. I think I have one or two.

Delicate Roughness
    i-S5MkVW7-L.jpg

Featherstone
    i-gzdXgZn-L.jpg

— Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    Although my three are very old, and I have wondered whether to substitute this one of the cat playing computer games on my husband's iPad for one of them

IMG_7874.JPG

but I don't know which one I would substitute or if I should just let them stand.

well that would be a tough call, but don't replace number two. That one is classic.
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2013
    I am such a bad mother, that I took her picture instead of fixing her problem. I think that her problem was that she didn't want to have her cereal in a box with milk in it.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2013
    Shadows and Light
    Shadows-and-Light-L.jpg

Worship and Play
    Worship-and-Play-L.jpg

You Lookin' at Me?
    You%20Lookin%27%20at%20Me%3F-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    ThirdDayImagingThirdDayImaging Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2013
    Happy Shooting, Scott
    Bodies: Panasonic Lumix GF3 and G5
    Lenses: Leica/Lumix Summilux 25mm f1.4, Leica Summicron 50mm f2 (dual range), Leica Summicron 90mm f2, Leica Elmar 135mm f4, Lumix 12-42mm f3.5-f5
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2013
    So many great entries here! I am enjoying watching the thread grow with new participants as well as those who have been involved with Dgrin for months or years.

ThirdDayImaging & DawnyaLynn - welcome to dgrin and thank you for your entries! And Juanheredia, great to have you entering your first dgrin (regular) challenge and mini-challenge this month!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2013
    Thank you Gretchen - great to be here!
    Happy Shooting, Scott
    Lenses: Leica/Lumix Summilux 25mm f1.4, Leica Summicron 50mm f2 (dual range), Leica Summicron 90mm f2, Leica Elmar 135mm f4, Lumix 12-42mm f3.5-f5
  • Options
    DawnyaLynnDawnyaLynn Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2013
    Thank you.
    Thank you Gretchen.
  • Options
    ShiraPhotographyShiraPhotography Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2013
    Industrial Homecoming
    2yw8qvl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2013
    Thinking of entering this mini or changing any of your entries? Want to remind folks that this challenge will close Saturday, May 18th, at 11:59 pm (Eastern time)!
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2013
    IMG_1714-L.jpg
    Big...bigger.....biggest

IMG_6628-L.jpg
    Neighbors.

IMG_6638-L.jpg
    He, she, they
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2013
    That first one is amazing Bill! If I were the judge . . .
    Happy Shooting, Scott
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2013
    There are some really great entries already. Here is one from me. Perhaps I will find some more before Saturday.

Think Big

P1270616CBWCrop-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2013
    This mini is still open but will close at the end of today - 11:59pm Eastern time. Feel free to enter this challenge if you haven't yet. And if you entered fewer than 3 images, feel free to enter up to 3!

Thanks for playing.

Gretchen
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 739 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2013
    There are so many great entries that I am definitely outclassed. I haven't entered for a while, but I thought I would try again.
    These are from early 2010. The foreground is the Apollo 1 pad, where the tragic capsule fire claimed the lives of three astronauts. The background is the booster for a modern weather satellite that launched about a month after this photo was taken.

#1. Apollo flame deflectors with GOES-P booster on an adjacent pad

Apollo1%20and%20GOES%20%231a-L.png

#2. GOES-P booster viewed through abandoned structure on Apollo 1 pad

Apollo1%20and%20GOES%20%232a-L.png
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2013
    This mini is now closed! I will try to post results by Monday. Many thanks to all of the participants!

Gretchen