Options

How to reply to a comment?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited December 2, 2005 in SmugMug Support
My galleries haven't had a lot of comments, but on the few comments that have been left more than half are questions. I read the comment, see it as a question and I'm left trying to figure out how to reply. For example, I get comments like: "Really enjoyed the signs, are you a pilot?" or "Beautiful shot, how did you get this at 2pm?".

What is one supposed to do? I know that if I reply in the gallery, the person who left the comment will probably never see the answer. If I don't reply in the gallery, my comment will look like it was left hanging with no answer.

If I know the person, I can dig up their email address in my email client and send them a reply, but that appears to still leave the comment hanging.

This isn't a big deal, but I've noticed it several times now and am just wondering what others do or if I'm missing something?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    My galleries haven't had a lot of comments, but on the few comments that have been left more than half are questions. I read the comment, see it as a question and I'm left trying to figure out how to reply. For example, I get comments like: "Really enjoyed the signs, are you a pilot?" or "Beautiful shot, how did you get this at 2pm?".
    I usually respond directly in the gallery - since I introduced my bi-linugal site I do it even in two languages. This way others can enjoy the answear, too. When I know the address of the person I'll often send a mail notifying him that I answeared to the comment and give a link to the picture. This gives the person the chance to review the picture and his own comment altogether.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    My galleries haven't had a lot of comments, but on the few comments that have been left more than half are questions. I read the comment, see it as a question and I'm left trying to figure out how to reply. For example, I get comments like: "Really enjoyed the signs, are you a pilot?"

The pilot question was me (My 18 year old is a pilot).. So I should have been clickable, unless I was logged out?(rare). In any case, if not clickable, I answer in the gallery if it's not a personal or lengthy response - and I will usually delete my response in a week or so. If they are clickable, I'll go back to their gallery or website, and leave an answer or try to find an email address.

Hope this helps,
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    Kind of wanted a "respond" link
    Andy wrote:
    The pilot question was me (My 18 year old is a pilot).. So I should have been clickable, unless I was logged out?(rare). In any case, if not clickable, I answer in the gallery if it's not a personal or lengthy response - and I will usually delete my response in a week or so. If they are clickable, I'll go back to their gallery or website, and leave an answer or try to find an email address.

Hope this helps,
    I knew it was you. Your name was clickable, but it just took me to your smugmug home page. I guess with smugmug having it's own messaging now, I was expecting to be able to respond to you somehow without digging up an email message. Or I was expecting to be able to hit a "respond" link and have you get notified that I'd left a response.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    I knew it was you. Your name was clickable, but it just took me to your smugmug home page. I guess with smugmug having it's own messaging now, I was expecting to be able to respond to you somehow without digging up an email message. Or I was expecting to be able to hit a "respond" link and have you get notified that I'd left a response.

The messaging system, for now, is for us to reach you - to make announcements, draw attention to new features, etc. Without sending email - which we really don't do. Presently, there are not plans to have one SmugMugger message another (it would go against our privacy policy.)

Sebastian has brought up an idea that could incorporate the other part of what you are saying. We've seen it - no promises on if/when as there are many other higher priority items on our list - but we love the suggestions! Keep 'em coming thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Sebastian has brought up an idea that could incorporate the other part of what you are saying. We've seen it - no promises on if/when as there are many other higher priority items on our list - but we love the suggestions! Keep 'em coming thumb.gif
    Just wanted to link to my thread - thanks for already having done this for me, Andy! iloveyou.gif

Have a nice weekend,
    Sebastian

EDIT: The link you gave is not working - I corrected it in my quote of your posting - or simply click here
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    EDIT: The link you gave is not working - I corrected it in my quote of your posting - or simply click here
    \

fixed.
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    Not a high priority thing
    Andy wrote:
    The messaging system, for now, is for us to reach you - to make announcements, draw attention to new features, etc. Without sending email - which we really don't do. Presently, there are not plans to have one SmugMugger message another (it would go against our privacy policy.)

I agree it's not a high priority thing just something that seems to happen with comments.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Andy wrote:

Maybe JT can make it so there is a class associated with comments that we make in our own gallery. That way we can format those comments to stand out from the rest of the comments...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Can't you just leave a comment under the comment?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2005
    Yes, but...
    JimM wrote:
    Can't you just leave a comment under the comment?
    Yes, you can just leave a comment under the comment, but when it's a reply to the previous comment, the person you are replying to has no way of ever seeing your new comment without thinking to come back and look. There's no notification scheme. That's what I was asking about.
    --John
    HomepagePopular