Options

National D-Day Memorial, Bedford, VA

moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
edited May 15, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Heading to an air show in Manassas, VA on Friday night, I passed a sign for the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA. Since it's sort of in the middle of nowhere, and I didn't know when I'd get back by that way, I took a short detour on the way home and stopped in to visit. I'm glad I did - it's a beautiful memorial to the soldiers, sailors, and airmen, from the United States and Allied countries, who fought and died during Operation Overlord.

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_001-XL.jpg

2 - The large arch is 44 feet, 6 inches tall, commemorating D-Day, 6/6/44. The black and white stone stripes reflect the "Invasion Stripes" applied to Allied aircraft to ease identification by ground troops.

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_008-XL.jpg

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_019-XL.jpg

4 - The wall surrounding part of the memorial was filled with these plaques, with the names of US and Allied troops killed in Operation Overlord.

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_010-XL.jpg

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_002-XL.jpg

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_004-XL.jpg

7 - The plaque accompanying this L-3 observation plane included the comment "If its canvas covering offered scant protection to those in the aircraft, the L-3's ability to fly on as projectiles pass through it was an offsetting advantage..."

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_013-XL.jpg

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_011-XL.jpg

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_003-XL.jpg

JM_2013_05_05_D-Day_Memorial_031-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2013
    Morning,

What a stunning Memorial, so wonderfully designed and executed.

Really well captured Moose, so many neat details, would love
    to see it. I'll bet your so glad you decided to stop in :D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2013
    Great memorial...
    You documented it very well. I'd love to visit it someday... Lots of history around Manassas but, I didn't know this was there!
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,752 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2013
    That's an impressive memorial. Thanks for sharing. I like the pictures. thumb.gif
  • Options
    daniel212daniel212 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2013
    Very nice photography on Memorable statue. Such a fantastic collection of army photos. I really like second last photo its look very natural and original
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2013
    I need to go there. Thanks for sharing. I thought it was the standard plaque we have all over VA.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2013
    Thanks for the great look at a most necessary Memorial.
    I have read historical accounts of the Allied strategy and maneuvers - very interesting stuff.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2013
    Kudos to you, John. That's some mighty impressive work on your part. As a long-time student of military history, I'm really pleased to see that such a grand tribute was erected in remembrance of those brave men that sacrificed so much on that momentous day. Over the years, I've been able to speak with quite a few participants in the invasion. The horrors that they described were almost unfathomable to me.

See ya,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Jack SparrowJack Sparrow Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2013
    Beautiful serie of a great place! Powerful images!
  • Options
    stphotographystphotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2013
    Thanks!
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2013
    Just to add to the chorus, what a stunning memorial! And very well photographed. Bravo!
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..