Options

Limited Edition Signed Prints

androidtandroidt Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited May 16, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm a fine art photographer and sell limited edition signed and numbered prints. My dilemma is how to sign/number the prints. I searched and found a few similar posts but they are old and I'd like some updated information on how you sign/number prints.

Traditionally prints are singed either on the mat or directly on the photo. However, if a customer orders a framed print, this is not possible without having the print shipped to me first, then taking off the backing paper, prying the nails up that hold the print and mat in place, taking the photo out, signing/numbering it, reversing the process to reassemble the print and then send it to the customer. Not a fun process I assure you. So I was thinking about just signing and numbering the print on the back. This accomplishes the task and I've seen other artists do this but I look at the signature as advertising as well as authentication. Clients also like to see the signature as it lets other people who view the photo that it is a piece of art directly from the artist and is worth more.

SmugMug has the option of adding a digital signature to the print. I really like this idea but there is no way to add the print number. Are there other fine artists who use the digital signature? What type of reaction do you get from customers? If you sell you work in art galleries, do the gallery owners have a problem with a digital signature?

My current plan is to give the customer options for how the print is signed. Customer satisfaction is paramount to me and want each customer to feel like they are getting the highest quality, limited edition piece of art that they can't get anywhere else.

Option 1: Digital Signature-could be selected for any type of print whether framed/unframed/metal/etc. A Certificate of Authenticity that included the print name, number, and artist's signature would be sent to the customer.

Option 2: Hand Signed Framed Print-the signature and print number would be on the back of the frame. A digital signature could also be placed on the photo. A Certificate of Authenticity that included the print name, number, and artist's signature would be sent to the customer. (The expense of shipping the print to the customer would come out of my pocket.)

Option 3: Hand Signed Un-Framed Print-the signature and print number would be on the photograph itself or on the mat if one was present. A Certificate of Authenticity that included the print name, number, and artist's signature would be sent to the customer. (The expense of shipping the print to the customer would come out of my pocket.)

What do you think about giving the customer options? Do you think it is worth the extra time, effort, and expense? What about not giving options but instead only offering a digital signature and Certificate of Authenticity?

I'd love some feedback on this issue.

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• Options
    bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2013
    Those sound like good options - but I'd like to mention another possibility. With the Proof Delay feature, you can replace the image in the order with one specific to that client. Therefore, you could replace the image they ordered with one that's specific to them - i.e. with a unique number, etc:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93355

I'm sure others will have more feedback, but that's my 2 cents :-)
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2013
    bobbyhero wrote: »
    Those sound like good options - but I'd like to mention another possibility. With the Proof Delay feature, you can replace the image in the order with one specific to that client. Therefore, you could replace the image they ordered with one that's specific to them - i.e. with a unique number, etc:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93355

I'm sure others will have more feedback, but that's my 2 cents :-)

That's a great idea! I may just offer a digital signature and number. It would be much easier than having the prints delivered to me to sign before sending them on to the customer. The only thing holding me back is whether or not a digital signature is acceptable to art galleries. I guess if a gallery had a problem with it I could sign prints for them in a traditional way and let all online orders be digital.

Thanks for the suggestion Bobby.

Andrew
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2013
    androidt wrote: »
    That's a great idea! I may just offer a digital signature and number. It would be much easier than having the prints delivered to me to sign before sending them on to the customer. The only thing holding me back is whether or not a digital signature is acceptable to art galleries. I guess if a gallery had a problem with it I could sign prints for them in a traditional way and let all online orders be digital.
    Andrew,
    Just one thing to keep in mind. Replacing photos during proof delay, replaces the photo original photo from the gallery. We do not keep multiple copies of one photo. That means replacing the photo on one order, would also replace it in the gallery and all other orders that haven't been sent to the lab.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2013
    Andrew,
    Just one thing to keep in mind. Replacing photos during proof delay, replaces the photo original photo from the gallery. We do not keep multiple copies of one photo. That means replacing the photo on one order, would also replace it in the gallery and all other orders that haven't been gone to the lab yet.

So if you have multiple orders in proof delay for the same photo, you would need to replace / send them to the lab with a couple of hours in between to ensure that the lab had some time to collect the photo from us for printing.

Thanks for the tip Sebastian.
    According to this help page:
    "As soon as you click the Send to Lab button, the order goes immediately to printing. Replacing images after that point will not change the order."
    Can you clarify what this means as it seems to conflict with what you wrote in your reply?

Thanks,
    Andrew
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2013
    I stand corrected. Sorry for any confusion.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2013
    Andrew,
    Just one thing to keep in mind. Replacing photos during proof delay, replaces the photo original photo from the gallery. We do not keep multiple copies of one photo. That means replacing the photo on one order, would also replace it in the gallery and all other orders that haven't been sent to the lab.
    I stand corrected. Sorry for any confusion.

No worries Sebastian:)