Family shoot-Critique requested

lzfotolzfoto Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited May 19, 2013 in People
So this is my second paying family shoot. After I gave my husband a whole talk on how I am giving up my photography due to the increased requirement of time and also the high competition in the Philadelphia area, I got a request from a friend of mine to do a family shoot. I agreed, figured it wouldn't hurt to just enjoy it. Here are some of the results. Even though I am not going to aim for the professional title and keep my nursing as my career, I would still love to get constructive critique on how I could improve the photo. Thanks in advance.

DSC_0398-Edit-L.jpg

DSC_0334-Edit-L.jpg

DSC_0667-Edit-L.jpg

DSC_0143-Edit-L.jpg

DSC_0485-Edit-L.jpg

I did this shoot on Saturday and have worked at the hospital just about everyday since, so these are the only ones I quickly edited for post. Let me know how I did!!!

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2013
    I'm coming from a traditional portrait background so take the CC from that stand point. I'm used to "modern or contemporary" portrature but there are rules to be followed in all styles that make portraits better than others not matter what the style. The cc is meant to help so please take it in that vein.

1. Feet coming at you is not flattering and the bright top right corner is distracting. You have to watch the background and that is hard to do in the hear of "battle". When doing multiple people try to put the heads in triangle positions, it's more flattering and more pleasing to view. You need to direct your clients as to what to wear. Remember bright colors come forward to the viewers eye first and will also put weight on you. The children needed darker tops and seems a bit casual against the rest.

2. For me 2 is too campy and the faces seem to be overexposed.

3. Is really cute but the white hat and jacket takes away from her face.

4. Is cute, maybe a tighter crop on the faces would be better. Mom's head looks a bit awkard. Whenever anything comes into contact with the face always just have it barely touch. If you lean or press on it too much it gets a scrunched up.

5. The pole coming up bothers me some and she is straight on to the camera which makes the body at its widest. Need to turn her some to slim her. Face seems a little blown out and her necklace is off center.

Camera wise you seem to know what your doing but now you have to look beyond the camera and see what hits your eye that you don't like and then change it before your make the portrait.
  • lzfotolzfoto Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2013
    Charles...Thanks for the input, it was nice to see theses images from another point of view. Only thing is, I did email and talk at great lengths about attire and color coordinating the clothes...but this is who they really are, and they dressed just like they would any other time they would go out or go to church, so I wasn't expecting much different for the photo shoot. Again, thanks for the critique!!! Greatly appreciated!
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2013
    I really like the first one, but agree with Charles that you should burn the top right corner so the brightest things in the photo are their faces. The others are really good too - bright and colorful, just like the family, right?
  • happenstancehappenstance Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2013
    happenstance
    Being a beginner grin, I'm just wondering if, because I calibrated my screen for the first time yesterday with colormunki display, if that's the reason the colors seem very surreal or something...certainly not true. That was the first thing I noticed, aside from the right corner in the first one being blown out. It's obvious the family knew and trusted you, the photographer. Smiles are real!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2013
    1. blown out corner and the girls face has something weird going on..mouth area is bright while the eye area is dark. backgrounds are sooo important in an image. always always look for a clean non-distracting BG when you shoot.

2. I like the concept of the shot actually..it's fun. except I see a green cast on their faces and skin (exp the boy and dad)

3. nice shot and well processed except ther eis too much space at the top..I would crop some of it off

4. same as 3..also your vignette is making the upper left hand corner all wonky as far as tonaility goes (it looks muddy)

5. I like this the best. same issue with vignetting on her jacket sleave lower right hand corner
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • WerewolfWerewolf Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2013
    They're all good. Technically perfect, maybe not, but then technical has a propensity for being soul less and every one of the portraits posted paints a picture of who that family is and how each member fits in with the others. The 1st group portrait provides insight into each individual but the arrangement binds them together as a family. They belong together.

#2 Shouts we're a family, we love each other and we belong together.

I'd bet #3 will end up proudly displayed on Mom or Dad's (maybe both) desk at work.

#4 and #5 bring out the mom's personality and show off the little girl's love for her.

FWIW if it were my family and you presented me with those shots I'd pay for them and be happy with my purchase.
  • lzfotolzfoto Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2013
    Wow! I was bummed out for not getting replys and decided to check back again today, and I had plenty to read! THANK YOU! As I posted before, its nice to see these picture from another person's eyes. I would have to agree on the first image...the more I look the less I like...the other's I would think are passing grade...not an A, but passing! Thanks again!