Options

Computer file help

nikon90nikon90 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 16, 2004 in Technique
Okay, I'm real new to this digital stuff and I thought I was doing really well until yesterday. I generally just download my pictures off my media card to a cd and that's it. I have told myself that I am going to go back and name these files later when I have more time. Yesterday, I wanted to get a couple names on a few pictures before I actually forgot them. When I went to rename this file, it came up "do you want to rename a read me only file?" I said yes and then it told me it can't do that. So my questions are this: do i have to name the files before I load them to disc? Can I rename it later in Photoshop? Or have I just completley messed up all my digital files? What exactly is a "read me only" file, I can still get prints right? Okay I know that's a ton of questions at one time but I hope one of you computer savvy people can help me. This is the first time I have tried this. I download first to open up cards because I can sometimes come home with 300 or more pictures on a media card. I don't have time to name them all now, lol. Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it. I just hope I haven't messed up all my pictures.:dunno
Terri

"I feed off the light, that I walk in"- Still Rain

http://SoRealismPhotography.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 15, 2004
    nikon90 wrote:
    Okay, I'm real new to this digital stuff and I thought I was doing really well until yesterday. I generally just download my pictures off my media card to a cd and that's it. I have told myself that I am going to go back and name these files later when I have more time. Yesterday, I wanted to get a couple names on a few pictures before I actually forgot them. When I went to rename this file, it came up "do you want to rename a read me only file?" I said yes and then it told me it can't do that. So my questions are this: do i have to name the files before I load them to disc? Can I rename it later in Photoshop? Or have I just completley messed up all my digital files? What exactly is a "read me only" file, I can still get prints right? Okay I know that's a ton of questions at one time but I hope one of you computer savvy people can help me. This is the first time I have tried this. I download first to open up cards because I can sometimes come home with 300 or more pictures on a media card. I don't have time to name them all now, lol. Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it. I just hope I haven't messed up all my pictures.ne_nau.gif
    When files are written to CD-R in Write at Once, the files are written in a non erasable format, and hence you get the "unable to rename the file".

So.... Copy the contents of your memory chip to your hard drive FIRST, then you can rename them and then save this copy to your CD-R. That should solve the renaming problem. Once you have them written to a hard drive AND a CD-R, then you can erase your memory chip safely to reuse it in your camera. I actually have two hard drives in my computer and store my files on both hard drives, a CD-R, and then gang store them on DVD's as well. It sort of a belt and suspenders kind of approach.:D Welcome to digital photography:encore
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2004
    Thank you. I don't put my pictures on a cd-r, I use cd-rws for my stuff because I am constantly adding that's why I didn't understand. Oh well, I'll have to get off my butt and start nameing the important ones I guess. I only have a laptop so I don't have a ton of memory. I have another question... you say you "gang them to a DVD", would you explain that better? I'll take any storage I can get that keeps things safe. Laughing.gif Thanks again. I appreciate the help. This digital computer stuff will give you a migraine Laughing.gifheadscratch.gif

Terri
    Terri

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    When files are written to CD-R in Write at Once, the files are written in a non erasable format, and hence you get the "unable to rename the file".

So.... Copy the contents of your memory chip to your hard drive FIRST, then you can rename them and then save this copy to your CD-R. That should solve the renaming problem. Once you have them written to a hard drive AND a CD-R, then you can erase your memory chip safely to reuse it in your camera. I actually have two hard drives in my computer and store my files on both hard drives, a CD-R, and then gang store them on DVD's as well. It sort of a belt and suspenders kind of approach.:D Welcome to digital photography:encore
    Pathfinder, how are our "files" transferred to smugmug? My question is, if my computer crashed, would my photos on smugmug be safe, or are they dependent on the photos on my hard drive?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Pathfinder, how are our "files" transferred to smugmug? My question is, if my computer crashed, would my photos on smugmug be safe, or are they dependent on the photos on my hard drive?

ginger

They would be safe. Once they are uploaded from your computer, they are kept on smugmug servers.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    nikon90 wrote:
    Thank you. I don't put my pictures on a cd-r, I use cd-rws for my stuff because I am constantly adding that's why I didn't understand. Oh well, I'll have to get off my butt and start nameing the important ones I guess. I only have a laptop so I don't have a ton of memory. I have another question... you say you "gang them to a DVD", would you explain that better? I'll take any storage I can get that keeps things safe. Laughing.gif Thanks again. I appreciate the help. This digital computer stuff will give you a migraine Laughing.gifheadscratch.gif

Terri
    Sorry - I never use CD-RWs- they are so much slower than CD-Rs, I just use CD-Rs and write them all at once. I have had trouble with the reliability of CD-RWs on my machines I guess.
    I just combine several folders and also write them to DVD as a data DVD. I really like to have more than one storage format if I am serious about long term storage. Too many stories on the web about inability to read CD-Rs after several years - like I said I am a belt and suspenders kind of a guy.

That is one reason I opened a smugmmug account - to have a secure off- site storage after I had a hard drive crash last summer. I have zero trust of hard drives - I use them but I do not really trust them.1drink.gif

• Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    Thanks for all the help. This is all confusing. I have only put my honeymoon pictures on a CD-R so far (made 2 copies with one in a safe deposit box lol). I've so far not had a problem with my CD-RWs, I'm just real careful not to hit the delete button. After reading what you said I may start putting my edited stuff on CD-Rs. :D Thanks again for your suggestions.
    Terri

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    nikon90 wrote:
    Thanks for all the help. This is all confusing. I have only put my honeymoon pictures on a CD-R so far (made 2 copies with one in a safe deposit box lol). I've so far not had a problem with my CD-RWs, I'm just real careful not to hit the delete button. After reading what you said I may start putting my edited stuff on CD-Rs. :D Thanks again for your suggestions.
    You don't have to change from using CD-RW's. Some don't like the slower speed of CD-RW's, but some would say that CD-RW's are more stable than CD-R's. Debate rages on that. Until you have a legitimate reason to switch formats that makes sense to you, keep on using the CD-RW's as you have been.

And as far as relying on smugmug or any photo hosting site, just don't be lulled into the false impression that you don't need local copies. Too many stories of people who uploaded their photos onto a photo hosting service and deleted their local copies only to have the service go out of business or otherwise loose the photos. Poof, all gone. Moral of the story, keep local copies on HDD, CD-R or RW, or DVD.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    You don't have to change from using CD-RW's. Some don't like the slower speed of CD-RW's, but some would say that CD-RW's are more stable than CD-R's. Debate rages on that. Until you have a legitimate reason to switch formats that makes sense to you, keep on using the CD-RW's as you have been.

And as far as relying on smugmug or any photo hosting site, just don't be lulled into the false impression that you don't need local copies. Too many stories of people who uploaded their photos onto a photo hosting service and deleted their local copies only to have the service go out of business or otherwise loose the photos. Poof, all gone. Moral of the story, keep local copies on HDD, CD-R or RW, or DVD.
    I would never rely only on any on-line storage either Shay. - Off site is important tho, because if the house burns down it is good to already have another storage site. Need to have multiple copies of local storage and on line storage, in my mind.

If folks are happy with CD-RWs, that is OK. Not CD-Rw per se, just the slow write speed that bothers me. I gave up on "write like a floppy" due to so many discs that later would not read on another computer. When I switched to CD-Rs in "Write all at once mode, with verify data checked", with Nero Burning ROM, I have never had a disk fail to read in another computer. If you can read a disk in your desktop, but not in another computer, I would say the disc is not really a backup storage mechanism, because 5 years from now, you may own a new desktop. Just what works for me - YMMVdeal.gif

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I would never rely only on any on-line storage either Shay. - Off site is important tho, because if the house burns down it is good to already have another storage site. Need to have multiple copies of local storage and on line storage, in my mind.

If folks are happy with CD-RWs, that is OK. Not CD-Rw per se, just the slow write speed that bothers me. I gave up on "write like a floppy" due to so many discs that later would not read on another computer. When I switched to CD-Rs in "Write all at once mode, with verify data checked", with Nero Burning ROM, I have never had a disk fail to read in another computer. If you can read a disk in your desktop, but not in another computer, I would say the disc is not really a backup storage mechanism, because 5 years from now, you may own a new desktop. Just what works for me - YMMVdeal.gif
    Ya, I am with you there. If it only reads on your computer there is a major red flag for future usbility of those disks hehehe. I write all at once too. Using it like a floppy has never worked out well for me either.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie