Options

Black Headed Gull in Flight

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited May 18, 2013 in Wildlife
(and a couple not in flight)

Evening all. Bird photography is something I've never played much with mainly because the longest lens I currently own is my 100mm F2.8L Macro lens (and of course, you'll see me normally posting in the macro section).

However, on a recent trip to Cape Wrath and nearby villages (Durness and Balnakiel) up in the North West of Scotland - http://goo.gl/maps/8rAV2, I got the opportunity to tempt a Black headed gull with a little bit of bread.

Armed with only my 15-85mm IS, I didn't expect much but I found out how bold these guys are. Shooting under very overcast conditions I was rather surprised with the overall results. Not to the standard many of you guys get but I'm actually quite pleased.

IMG_0763-XL.jpg

IMG_0776-XL.jpg

IMG_0777-XL.jpg

IMG_0779-XL.jpg

IMG_0781-XL.jpg

IMG_0783-XL.jpg

IMG_0785-XL.jpg

IMG_0786-XL.jpg

IMG_0806-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2013
    very nice. beautiful. good work!
  • Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2013
    Thank you Josh. It makes me yearn for a much longer lens now. :)
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2013
    IPClark wrote: »
    Armed with only my 15-85mm IS, I didn't expect much ...

Whilst I generally use something longer, there have been instances when I've got acceptable results using a 70 -200 f4 (non IS) and a 180macro.

Depends on many things - weather / wind being one factor ...very windy day and the birds were having a difficult time travelling a short, known distance - being familiar with their actions, together with them almost hovering offered potential shots.

Degree of habituation, even in a 'wild' situation helps - but background control with a short focal length / wide angle of view will (almost) always be very challenging, imo.

4 + last would be my picks, btw.

I'd stick with macro ... it's cheaper + easier on arms / back :)

pp
  • Options
    ThirdDayImagingThirdDayImaging Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2013
    Very nice Ian! I especially love the fourth one - it's frame-able as is.
    Happy Shooting, Scott
    Bodies: Panasonic Lumix GF3 and G5
    Lenses: Leica/Lumix Summilux 25mm f1.4, Leica Summicron 50mm f2 (dual range), Leica Summicron 90mm f2, Leica Elmar 135mm f4, Lumix 12-42mm f3.5-f5