The Nose No's?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 17, 2013 in People
OK. Silly title but it's all I could come up with. :rofl

I have a shoot for a senior on Saturday. Actually, I'm going to do two session with her. Saturday are shots in her prom dress with her boyfriend. They had photos done at school... one cap and gown headshot and another traditional senior formal portrait. The mother showed me the photos today. Pretty good stuff. HOWEVER, both the mother and the girl hate them.

The issue is that the bridge of her nose is a little wide. I don't find it all that bad but they seem to think it's huge. The photographer had her look almost straight onto the camera and used a loop light setup but two problems that I saw... first, the main was to close to center and two, the fill was too strong. I think he ended up with light that was just too flat. Add to it that he made her look straight on, it did everything to accentuate the bridge of her nose.

So why am I posting... well, I just want to validate my plan. First, I will make sure I shoot her face at 3/4 pose and I will also use a short light pattern to add some shadow on the camera side of the nose and keep it slim. The only concern I have with the light is I will be shooting these outdoors so I can only do so much with my ratios. Still, I think I should be OK. Again, her nose is not egregiously wide.

Any other suggestions or tips?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2013
    photoshop... duuuuhhh!!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2013
    the only thing i can add is use a longer focal length lens
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2013
    tip the chin up and down and find the better angle.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,215 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2013
    Portrait Professional can trim the nose a little bit without it looking trimmed.

Sherry
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2013
    Alex:
    I watched a workshop on Creative Live by Scott Robert Lim called "Crazy Stupid Light" and if I remember correctly, what he did was place the subject in a 3/4 pose to the available light. Then popped in a little bit of fill light, and had the subject turn her head so that her nose was pointed towards the fill light. Then he moved around to find the best angle for the shot.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams