My first DigitalSLR - Advice Needed

postvenkipostvenki Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited December 2, 2005 in Cameras
Hello everyone. I'm very new here and am looking for your advice...please.

I'm getting ready to purchase my first DigitalSLR. Iam planning between
1) Nikon D50 (less expensive and easy to use)
2) Nikon D70 (dunno wht is there in this for this price)
3) Cannon Rebel (heard this is also a gud one)

Which one shld i choose ????

PLS PLS help me out and dnt be general in sayin the Pros and Cons

One more thing there are kits available that include lenses, memory cards, cases, card readers and the like... should I invest in a kit for one lump sum(bargain) or should I buy each piece separately.

Thanks in advance.

Venki

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Some of these questions have already been addressed in another similiarly titled post.

You will see many divisions on the Nikon v. Canon debate here. I say go Canon.

As for the kits, in general, the group seems to believe you would be better off purchasing the pieces separately and getting exactly what you want/need.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Thats a very open question venki. I will tell you to buy a Canon 350D/20D & there will be others that will tell you to buy the Nikon D70/50.

Its no diff to the old ford/GM decision really. All you can do is drive both cars & work each dealer on a price for the one which suits you the best.

Its seriously not going to matter a hoot to you which is the better as you will grow to that particular make. The only difference is that with either body you are going to lock yourself in to that particular cameras lens mount.(yes i know you can buy adaptors guys) I only picked canon because it works out a lot cheaper for me lens wise in 0z but if $ wasnt an issue i would most likely have a nikon.

Go & feel all the cameras in the shops & see what deal you can get on an extra lens or 2...maybe a telephoto or something wide for different shooting.
  • postvenkipostvenki Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 2, 2005
    Thnks for ur replies
    As far as my budget, i can afford a Nikon D50
    Any suggestions on this
    Can i buy this or ???
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    postvenki wrote:
    As far as my budget, i can afford a Nikon D50
    Any suggestions on this
    Can i buy this or ???
    Buy it...its a great camera. It will take excellent photos IF you learn how to use it & use some imagination.

Dont learn how to use it & it will be the same as a lot of other cameras ...a paper weight.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Buy it...its a great camera. It will take excellent photos IF you learn how to use it & use some imagination.

Dont learn how to use it & it will be the same as a lot of other cameras ...a paper weight.
    15524779-Ti.gif listen to Gus, he's wise. lol. just aboujt a month ago i found myself in the exact same dilemma. personally i would go with the Canon 10D if i were you. Its in the same price range as the 50D AND personally i htink its a better camera. its ergonomics are easier. there is always some for sale on www.fredmiranda.com on their buy&sell forum. but you have to register first. don't be hesitant. its a brilliant forum and you can't go wrong buying from there.

as for the kit question. many times when you buy it in bulk the items are cheap and you'll end up replacing them anyways. all you have to worry about if you buy a 10D from fredmiranda is getting a card and a lense. which you could pick up an EF 50 f1.8 II like listed below which is a good lense for just 75 dollars.thumb.gif

this will get you started.

good luck with the huntclap.gif

-daniel-
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com