Weevil on a windowsill

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited May 24, 2013 in Holy Macro
Weevil- just arrived on a windowsill. Not seen this species of Sitona before.
All have been focus stacked using zerene.
Brian v.

8749050257_fc6633a7d4_o.jpg

8749050281_e2d2d30010_o.jpg

8749050299_34be625933_o.jpg

Comments

• roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2013
    How in the heck do you all get them to hold still for these stacks? Every live bug here hops and flitters around like it's on meth.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2013
    roscowgo wrote: »
    How in the heck do you all get them to hold still for these stacks? Every live bug here hops and flitters around like it's on meth.

Obviously I don't always end up with compliant bugs. With this one it was a fairly cool day and so it was not moving around much. I think then when you first start shooting the flash actually causes the bug to freeze. I also can shoot short stacks fairly quickly.
    Brian v.
    edited May 22, 2013
    Do you close down the aperture to get a deeper dof for fewer pics per stack as well?

*takes notes
    edited May 23, 2013
    Do you close down the aperture to get a deeper dof for fewer pics per stack as well?

*takes notes

No I normally shoot stacks at the same aperture I would use for a single shot but I do tend to shoot fairly open.
    This is basically because I don't know when I start shooting whether I'm going to be able to take a few shots for stacking.
    eg on a 1.6 crop camera 1:1 F11, 2:1 F9,3:1 F7.1.
    On a Full frame DSLR you can shut down these values by around 2/3 to 1 stop
    Brian V.
    edited May 23, 2013
    That's what I was thinking. I didn't know if people were opening way wide, like down into the 2's and doing stacks of live things with lots of shots, or keeping a middle-small opening and doing fewer, or closing it way down and doing fewer still.

Like this one I think was down around f23 or something.

_MG_3478-L.jpg
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    As always, very good shots Brian and excellent info too :)
    edited May 23, 2013
    Indeed. Ty for the pointers. I really need to get a rail. I'm especially awful bad at doing stacks by hand.
    edited May 24, 2013
    thanks again for the comments :)
    Brian v.
    edited May 24, 2013
    That's what I was thinking. I didn't know if people were opening way wide, like down into the 2's and doing stacks of live things with lots of shots, or keeping a middle-small opening and doing fewer, or closing it way down and doing fewer still.

Like this one I think was down around f23 or something.

The problem with shutting down the aperture is running into diffraction. I like to be able to see fine detail in my shots (assuming the subject has any) which is how I arrived at the apertures I use at different magnifications as a reasonable balance of DOF and diffraction. So focus stacking is just a way of getting back some of the DOF and still retain a good level of fine detail.

Brian v.