Options

Young Male

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited May 30, 2013 in Wildlife
American Cardinal. I like this plumage. Once they mature, the red is almost too much. It gets all oversaturated. Thanks for looking!

_SPT3553-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2013
    Terrific composition - the branch provided a great leading line.
    Lovely soft background provides wonderful separation.
    The green/red contrast really makes the image pop.
    A beautiful bird and a beautiful capture.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    WossaWossa Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2013
    Wonderful, lovely image ! I agree with AceCo55, the green backround really does make the image stand out....congrats.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2013
    Thanks folks. Everything did come together on this one, and the 500mm Sigma did not let me down. It does have such lovely bokeh.
    John :
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    I generally agree with previous comments - super subject, great colours, well taken ... but as this is obviously* a crop, I wondered about the composition?

All subjective of course, but I tried imagining what it'd look like with the bird less centralised - tip of tail more in a corner, with more breathing space on RHS of bird.

Don't suppose it obliged and you got a shot of it looking towards cam in this position? :)

pp

edit
    *Ignore, since originally unaware of other aspect ratios available in Nikon land ... but I still wonder about the comp.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2013
    I usually prefer a 4:5 format to a 2:3, so most of my images are cropped. I usually think 80% when composing a shot. As far as the comp, on this one, I thought the diagonal of the branch wanted to die into the corner of the frame. YMMV. I think your idea of more space to the right has merit. I'll have a look to see what the situation gave me. As far as the pose: yeah, right. In my dreams, maybe.
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2013
    Icebear wrote: »
    ... As far as the comp, on this one, I thought the diagonal of the branch wanted to die into the corner of the frame. YMMV. ...

I'd agree ... but the lower left corner of frame can essentally be slid anywhere along the top of the branch and still stay in the corner.

At the moment - to me - it's as if the tail and head are competing for attention because they have a similar(ish) amount of space around them. Altering this balance would place more emphasis on the head, imo.

pp
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2013
    Like this better?

i-CvJpbTP-XL.jpg
    John :
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2013
    Icebear wrote: »
    Like this better?

I think what I had in mind was something between the original and the newer (3:2) one, staying with 5:4, since you said you generally preferred the latter aspect ratio.

At the end of the day my thoughts on this are irrelevant - it's all about whether you like/prefer the result.

...but to answer the Q - in the expected binary manner - yes :)

pp
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2013
    Precious!