My grandson

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited December 3, 2005 in People
Hi everyone,
Hubby and I spent 8 days in Connecticut for Thanksgiving week. We stayed with our son and his wife and got to see our grandson for the first time. He is 2 1/2 months old. I took loads of pictures, but most of them were terrible. The house was dark so I used high ISOs and the on-camera flash. I have a few to share.
#1. Happy Dreams - natural light, f4.5 ISO 800 1/40 sec.
46791132-L.jpg

#2 Cropped version of above. My husband likes seeing the spindle of the cradle. He says it gives it context. I think it's distracting. Which do you prefer?
46791135-L.jpg

#3 - With both spindles, even more context.
How are the skin tones? I wondered about the lightness and darkness and contrast. I wanted to keep it soft so I did not sharpen at all. Just used LAB for the skin tones.
46791140-L.jpg

#4 Peaceful Sleep - no happy dreams, just contentment.
46791144-L.jpg

#5 Bath in the kitchen sink - used the flash here. It was late at night and very dark. I don't have a great flash. Just the on-camera deal.
46791126-L.jpg

Pointers would be appreciated. I have a tough time getting the settings right. Most of my shots were blurred because I couldn't get the shutter speed fast enough with the low light. These are the best out of about a hundred. Thanks for looking.
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    High key look
    I thought I'd try the high key look on #2.
    I'm trying to pick one to do a portrait to give to the kids for a Christmas gift.
    Does this look right? Did I make it too bright?
    46801750-L.jpg
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    WOW! lots of hair. All my kids had lots at birth too.
    Great job with the shots, Snap. I love what you did with the last one, "Sweet Dreams" thumb.gif

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
    edited December 2, 2005
    johno wrote:
    WOW! lots of hair. All my kids had lots at birth too.
    Great job with the shots, Snap. I love what you did with the last one, "Sweet Dreams" thumb.gif

peace.
    johno~
    Thanks Johno,
    Yes, this guy has lots of hair. I wonder if it will fall out. Glad you like that last one. It's more of a "portrait" than the others. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on the shots. I appreciate it.

Does anyone have any tips on skin tones or opinions on the cradle spindles, yea or nea?
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    no spindles
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks Johno,
    Yes, this guy has lots of hair. I wonder if it will fall out. Glad you like that last one. It's more of a "portrait" than the others. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on the shots. I appreciate it.

Does anyone have any tips on skin tones or opinions on the cradle spindles, yea or nea?
    Hi Snappy,

love that head of hair icon10.gif

While I'm too much of a PS novice to comment on the skin tone, I'll vote for no spindles and agree with you that they are distracting. You did a nice job with the last post.

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • PlayeTymePlayeTyme Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    Hi Snappy. I iloveyou.gif "Sweet Dreams" shot. Can you post another one that's toned down just a tad? I would like to see one thats about half way between the original and final posts.

Thanks,
    Playe
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    Hi, snappy, I thought about you over thanksgiving. I was with my family too, but they are closer and I didn't stay as long, though I still have a gazillion shots to work up. My youngest grandchild in now one, so he was a slightly different "picture" than yours. And I had many grandchildren there. (That means I have many shots to get worked up, and I have been working on more recent bird shots, and still have some to go there, too.)

OK, I really do like your shots. I am not the expert on skin color, Rutt is. I would really, sincerely suggest that you PM him. Just find one of his posts or search his name and send him a PM. He only really knows LAB which we, you and I, are not into like he is, if at all. But he knows skin tones. So do some others, but he is the one who comes to my mind.

I like your shots, especially the last two. I think, this is my guess re high key, I think it is supposed to have all the basic elements that a regular shot should have, usually, the darks should go to the dark end and the lights to the light end, just more of the light end, and that is what you have done. Perhaps the blanket should have some detail, I don't know about that...........with the blanket being so light it might be a bit of a distraction.

I love the look on the baby's face in the next to last shot, too. Really good capture!

I am sure the parents will be delighted! Parents are not particular on the technicals, usually, they are so happy with their baby, smile.

But your technicals are not lacking, there may be a few things I am not noticing, and I am not sure about the blanket, but mostly it is a nice sweet shot, and it has been appreciated here, too.

My son had all that hair, too. He did not lose it.

ginger (Your grandson is adorable!)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited December 3, 2005
    PlayeTyme wrote:
    Hi Snappy. I iloveyou.gif "Sweet Dreams" shot. Can you post another one that's toned down just a tad? I would like to see one thats about half way between the original and final posts.

Thanks,
    Playe
    Thanks Colleen, Playe and Ginger for your great input. I worked up another version of "Sweet Dreams" that's not quite as bright as the previous one. I noticed that the collar of his PJ's was blown out in the first one and as Ginger mentioned, the blanket was faded out to white at the edge. So I left all the color of the blanket in too. My original idea was to fade the whole picture out to white at the edge, but this new version is more like the original shot. I guess it would just be a matter of preference here. I kind of liked the idea of all white around the baby's face, making the face stand out and cutting out the blanket almost completely - more of a vignette. I could still do that, but I would leave the skin tones as dark as this version. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks.
    46880391-L.jpg
  • PlayeTymePlayeTyme Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks Colleen, Playe and Ginger for your great input. I worked up another version of "Sweet Dreams" that's not quite as bright as the previous one. I noticed that the collar of his PJ's was blown out in the first one and as Ginger mentioned, the blanket was faded out to white at the edge. So I left all the color of the blanket in too. My original idea was to fade the whole picture out to white at the edge, but this new version is more like the original shot. I guess it would just be a matter of preference here. I kind of liked the idea of all white around the baby's face, making the face stand out and cutting out the blanket almost completely - more of a vignette. I could still do that, but I would leave the skin tones as dark as this version. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks.
    I like your choice of skin tone(s). thumb.gif You captured a heavenly facial expression, and IMHO the soft fade would accent that concept. If you work up another version, please post. Great capture.clap.gif

Thanks...