Organized Sports

mayflymayfly Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited May 25, 2013 in Street and Documentary
i-NGxMcLx-XL.jpg

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2013
    I really like the "what the...?" value as I look around and see the kid with the stick while the kid with the bat stands by. And what is with the guy with the dodgeball (?) running into the field? ...BUT the bright foreground on the entire bottom half makes it tough to look at for long. But only way around this is to crop out the bottom part, cutting the dodgeball guy off at the knees.
  • mayflymayfly Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2013
    rainbow wrote: »
    I really like the "what the...?" value as I look around and see the kid with the stick while the kid with the bat stands by. And what is with the guy with the dodgeball (?) running into the field? ...BUT the bright foreground on the entire bottom half makes it tough to look at for long. But only way around this is to crop out the bottom part, cutting the dodgeball guy off at the knees.

Thank you rainbow for these comments, especially the pointer about the bright foreground.

As to this scene with mixed stickball and dodgeball, it struck me as very different from the little league game that I was watching at the time.
  • alanD2alanD2 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 22, 2013
    I really appreciate photographs where the interaction is between multiple people, and the more people the better.It is very difficult to achieve.However i feel this photo could lose the 3 spectators on the right, plus lose all the trees at the top ,which would help to create a more closely packed dynamic with the remaining participants.
    edited May 22, 2013
    alanD2 wrote: »
    I really appreciate photographs where the interaction is between multiple people, and the more people the better.It is very difficult to achieve.However i feel this photo could lose the 3 spectators on the right, plus lose all the trees at the top ,which would help to create a more closely packed dynamic with the remaining participants.

Thanks for the comments. The crop and some pp to reduce the brightness on the sand seems to help!

i-FvD7DTq-L.jpg
    edited May 23, 2013
    My apologies for playing around with your image, also for the quality, which is a screenshot but here is a different version of my original idea for a crop.There is so much great stuff going on in your original shot but unfortunately it is not all forming itself into a balanced picture, so if you want it to be a "keeper" it is a matter of finding the right compromise.Mine is just another suggestion.

ScreenShot2013-05-23at113344_zps7d7ba78d.jpg
    edited May 23, 2013
    alanD2 wrote: »
    My apologies for playing around with your image, also for the quality, which is a screenshot but here is a different version of my original idea for a crop.There is so much great stuff going on in your original shot but unfortunately it is not all forming itself into a balanced picture, so if you want it to be a "keeper" it is a matter of finding the right compromise.Mine is just another suggestion.

ScreenShot2013-05-23at113344_zps7d7ba78d.jpg

I appreciate the suggestions and think your crop helps the scene. Thanks
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 24, 2013
    Dunno on the crop ^. The boy throwing the baseball is no longer in the image.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited May 24, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »

Thanks David. This thread has been helpful and a lesson to me in paying attention to all of the details in the frame.
    edited May 24, 2013
    David_S85 wrote: »
    My final word
    It is not a documentary film, it is a still photograph.It does not need a beginning a middle and an end. It is a frozen moment within a story ,but every element of the story does not need to be underlined or explained.

A quote from your Artist in Residence B D Colen's page

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2013
    I would go back to the beginning the image is meant to be chaotic . Why crop anything ?
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2013
    I agree with lensmole... And the processing to decrease the foreground is better than cropping at the knees. The best lesson is how much an image and the story can change with cropping. Sometimes it improves it, sometimes not, but you as the photographer/artist have to make that decision.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2013
    Your 1st choice was the correct one, end of Story! mwink.gif