IRONMAN Texas 2013

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited May 27, 2013 in Street and Documentary
I had the opportunity to be in the presence of greatness this past weekend. The third running of IRONMAN Texas in the Woodlands is quickly garnering attention as an 'early season' race with 'challenging weather aspects'. The second part is an understatement. Athletes did not have a single cloud the entire day as temperatures rose North of 92*F with high humidity. The attrition rate was 11% and I surmise primarily due to weather conditions. Yet 2022 athletes completed this years event.

Full gallery is HERE

Here's a series and comment which hopefully shows how an event like this unfolds.

When you think your day is hard...
i-p3HQ9Pd-L.jpg

My coach (L) and teammate (R) hamming it up at the chocolate milk tent
i-GL6vJnd-L.jpg

Business being creative
i-rzBWGD2-L.jpg

IRONMAN indeed
i-p374mjh-L.jpg

IRONMAN 5/18
i-Z6cZ7S3-L.jpg

Mike Riley, the voice for over 25 years of "You Are An IRONMAN" as you cross the finish line
i-jNsxWKQ-L.jpg

Superstition, luck or confidence?
i-2zfXhhK-L.jpg

The 2.4 mile swim start only minutes away
i-bGWkTFj-L.jpg

Support comes from everywhere
i-3qtZkmG-L.jpg

Send them off for 112 mile bike ride
i-C8rzqH9-L.jpg

Bring 'em back after that 112 mile bike ride
i-NKLnHC7-L.jpg

Some folks crowding the bike cut-off time
i-CPmNjrD-L.jpg

And others missing the time limit and their day is over
i-bRXdh6T-L.jpg

More of that 'support thing'. (He's 125 meters from the finish line)
i-HNXhMkt-L.jpg

While some are finishing their 26.2 mile run, others are still running
i-qQrhdvW-L.jpg

Or walking...
i-mkT4MSc-L.jpg

Some are sight-impaired (ie: blind) and still moving forward. The guide is on the right and I shot her at IMAZ two years ago doing the same thing for another blind athlete. This pair would go on to complete the course in 16hr58min14sec. The cutoff is 17hours.
i-PxTZBvH-L.jpg

Most smile at this point in the race as the finish line is .29 miles away
i-6hZHHhK-L.jpg

Yet some remove themselves before that point
i-vSRpdJH-L.jpg

Others are removed by race imposed time constraints yet go back and finish the distance after the race doing the full distance. Joey (in red) IS an IRONMAN in my book. WTC (World Triathlon Corporation) places a 17hr cutoff time on this distance while other race hosts of this distance do not have a time limit. Do the distance in one day - earn the title in my book.
i-2rV8R6X-L.jpg

It may be dark and late, but the first-timers always look fresh this close to the end
i-S2sVtts-L.jpg

i-F5JLCKc-L.jpg

And smiles abound for those who have finished
i-hx33Rp6-L.jpg

...to have one of these and be branded IRONMAN for life
i-sT97Sb4-L.jpg

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2013
    Good Story, enjoyed it

Tough Bunch, in a good way!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2013
    I actually had time to read and follow the story and find it put together very well. Talk about tough challenges and everyone winning!Z
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2013
    Thanks guys....

This particular event is brutal because of the heat/humidity and wind. There's no place to hide from it, and if you don't have your hydration/nutrition spot-on, can be a horribly long day.

Fully recognizing these aren't great pics individually (having lots of athletes/spectators on the course makes it somewhat difficult to get a pristine shot for each in the series), I wanted to tie the images together in a storyline of what an IRONMAN is from a spectator perspective. An emotional roller-coaster of sorts. I used to say it was tougher to spectate than do one. I'll stand by that assessment after yet another as a spectator.

Edit:
    Interesting side story.... I shot these on a Saturday and had them pushed up and in the storyline by Tuesday afternoon. The gal in the USAF flag/red cycle shot above, I befriended on the course, so I shot a few of him. I gave her my card and they were to be a surprise from her to him, but by Wednesday he had found this thread on a google search so the surprise was foiled. I still sent her the images of them, but this just goes to show how quick the bots pick up new material and how effective google is at search word optimization.