where do you buy frames for prints?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited December 2, 2005 in Finishing School
I couldn't figure out where to put this so I just put it here. Where do you all get frames for large prints from?

Comments

• marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Have you used these places before?
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Have you used these places before?
    I have used Frame Destination, and think the quality and pricing is good.

I especially like their frame / mat kit for a 13" X 19" print. The out side dimensions are 20X26, and it comes complete with frame, pre cut mat, foam core backing, and Plexiglas. Do note however that the inside demensions are tight. I think they could make the inside a little smaller. They only give you 1/8 of an inch on each side, so you need to print border less, and be precise in linning up the print to the opening.

Sam
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    I have used Frame Destination for inexpensive frames for gallery shows and such. Good service, reliable, and straight up guys. I dealt with them on a shipping problem (one frame out of 30 arrived broken) and they sent a new one, no questions asked.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    I have used Frame Destination for inexpensive frames for gallery shows and such. Good service, reliable, and straight up guys. I dealt with them on a shipping problem (one frame out of 30 arrived broken) and they sent a new one, no questions asked.
    Andy, If you you use Frame Destination for your inexpensive frames, where do you go for the high end frames?

Sam
    edited December 2, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Andy, If you you use Frame Destination for your inexpensive frames, where do you go for the high end frames?

Sam
    I think he makes them from rolled up $100 bills rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 2, 2005
    Sam wrote:

Sam

lol3.gif

They have, for like $50 or $60 bucks, a nice black wooden frame, with buff matte, in 16 x20 or 13 x 19 openings. Plexiglass, not real glass. That's inexpensive, at least I think so. For really nice frames, I go to a local framer, who practices the black art of framing. It's all he does. Trouble is, you go there, and you end up spending like 2 hours - the guy is fascinating to watch work. For a hand made, large frame, it's not uncommon to spend $250 or more on a really quality job, proper mounting, acid-free museum quality stuff, top shelp matting, sometimes double- or triple- matted, and then the UV glass.
    edited December 2, 2005
    I forgot one other place I use:

Exposures Online particulary for 5x7, 8x10, 16x20 openings, these guys have some really nice stuff. They have a sale about once a quarter.
    edited December 2, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif

They have, for like $50 or $60 bucks, a nice black wooden frame, with buff matte, in 16 x20 or 13 x 19 openings. Plexiglass, not real glass. That's inexpensive, at least I think so. For really nice frames, I go to a local framer, who practices the black art of framing. It's all he does. Trouble is, you go there, and you end up spending like 2 hours - the guy is fascinating to watch work. For a hand made, large frame, it's not uncommon to spend $250 or more on a really quality job, proper mounting, acid-free museum quality stuff, top shelp matting, sometimes double- or triple- matted, and then the UV glass.
    Is all that stuff really necessary? My mom has a photo of my dad on her desk taken in 1966. The frame it's in doesn't even have any type of glass whatsoever, the backing is just a piece of cardboard with a fold out leg, and the photo looks as good as the day it was taken.