Through The Fence

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited June 4, 2013 in Sports
Hadn't tried this before because I didn't think it would work... loving this new perspective on pitchers...

5D3_5409-X2.jpg

5D3_5445-X2.jpg

5D3_5443-X2.jpg

5D3_5438-X2.jpg

5D3_5439-X2.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2013
    I really like the strong modelling effect from the side lighting.
    You have capture the effort involved in pitching by these guys. I like the wound up tension in #3 ... and a great facial expression. This guy is giving it his all.
    I like the pose in #1 and #4 more so than #2. They just seem to have more energy.
    In #1, were you shooting through a chain link fence? There is some lens flair that looks like the metal chain link. (Not a criticism ... just an observation) ooops ... Doh!! 11doh.gif read the title again. Don't mind me.
    Thanks for posting - most enjoyable.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2013
    Thanks Ace. Yeah, I was just surprised that shooting through a chain link fence could work so well. All these shots were through the fence. 3-5, this kid has the best baseball face in town! The pitcher in 2 is more relaxed in general. I just liked how I got the ball right off his hand.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2013
    A great perspective with great light!

At AT&T Park here in San Fran we have to shoot through netting that is similar in diameter as chain link fencing. We get those same patterns in the bokeh as you did, but the main subjects look just fine!
    edited May 30, 2013
    Thanks John!
    -Jack

• nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    Been doing it for years. For best results, get your lens right up to, but not touching the fence.

Have you tried the "Freeze the ball in mid flight" shot yet?
  • jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    really surprised by your title ,I assumed that would have been something that you did regularly .All my (Boys softball) shots you complimented me on last year were through the back stop . my main place to shoot ball (sons a pitcher )
    edited May 31, 2013
    nipprdog wrote: »
    Been doing it for years. For best results, get your lens right up to, but not touching the fence.

Yeah, I figured. I rest the hood right on the fence.
    Have you tried the "Freeze the ball in mid flight" shot yet?

Like #2 above?
    -Jack

edited May 31, 2013
    jmp2204 wrote: »
    really surprised by your title ,I assumed that would have been something that you did regularly .All my (Boys softball) shots you complimented me on last year were through the back stop . my main place to shoot ball (sons a pitcher )

I guess I didn't realize that it would work this well, and I also didn't realize there was a spot I could get to that would give this perspective - there is a scorekeeper's tower/equipment shed behind home plate at all the fields, which I thought would be blocking the way. But I realize now there is about 18" on either side of it where I can kneel for these shots, and still be behind a section of fence perpendicular to the pitcher.

What lens do you use for it? I also assumed a 70-200/2.8 wasn't big enough to wrap around the links, but now I'm using a 300/2.8.

One more from tonight!

5D3_5889-X2.jpg
    -Jack

• nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2013
    Like #2 above?

No, midflight. mwink.gif

i-Jz8Jd2X.jpg

Pre focus halfway between mound and home plate. Aperture wide open, high shutter speed. When pitcher releases the ball, fire a burst of shots. Eventually, you will catch the ball in the focus zone. :D
  • jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2013
    your shots always make me say wow !
    I guess I didn't realize that it would work this well, and I also didn't realize there was a spot I could get to that would give this perspective - there is a scorekeeper's tower/equipment shed behind home plate at all the fields, which I thought would be blocking the way. But I realize now there is about 18" on either side of it where I can kneel for these shots, and still be behind a section of fence perpendicular to the pitcher.

What lens do you use for it? I also assumed a 70-200/2.8 wasn't big enough to wrap around the links, but now I'm using a 300/2.8.

One more from tonight!

5D3_5889-X2.jpg
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    My grandsons - 8 and 9 - play Babe Ruth league baseball. One's on the "Giants",
    (first base and catcher) and the other is on the "Yankees" (first base). The field
    the Yankees play on is fenced all-around, so all of my shots are through the fence.

This one through the fence:
    2013-03-21-3-XL.jpg

The field the Giants play on has a 6' high fence, and I bring a milk crate to stand
    on to shoot over the fence:

2013-05-03-05-XL.jpg

And this one through the fence. That's not noise in the image, it's rain.

2013-05-03-07-XL.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited June 3, 2013
    nipprdog - that's a neat trick, but I'm not sure I like the player out of focus. I mean I know you can't have both, but I can't imagine this shot selling. It's a photo of a softball. IMHO.

jmp - thanks!

Tony - those are great captures and you've processed them nicely, but they would benefit from a lower perspective, especially #1. Your last one looks like it was taken low. Youth sports photos taken by adults from a standing position just make the kids look like, well, kids. You've got to get down on their level to make them look like pros. That is the biggest secret to this, which very few parents seem to be able to realize. If you can't kneel, sit on that milk crate! Also - shoot wide open to isolate your subject and make them pop.
    -Jack

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2013
    ...You've got to get down on their level to make them look like pros. That is the biggest secret to this, which very few parents seem to be able to realize. If you can't kneel, sit on that milk crate! ...

Ditto with with wildlife (getting low / subject's eye level) ... but ppl don't seem to like doing it.

Just surprised that I don't see more really low level sports stuff (where circumstances allow)... because of the rubbish bgs that seem to be present.

I know zero about baseball except that I assume the pitcher presumably has to release ball from a particular position -which allows for some prediction of action ... as with cricket.

pp

different sorts of action, but cam as low as it'd go

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=226477&highlight=cricket

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=227094&highlight=cheap+crown
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2013
    Tony - those are great captures and you've processed them nicely, but they would benefit from a lower perspective, especially #1. Your last one looks like it was taken low. Youth sports photos taken by adults from a standing position just make the kids look like, well, kids. You've got to get down on their level to make them look like pros. That is the biggest secret to this, which very few parents seem to be able to realize. If you can't kneel, sit on that milk crate! Also - shoot wide open to isolate your subject and make them pop.

That's good advice. If I have to shoot through the chain link fence, I could shoot
    through a lower opening.

As the OP pointed out, shooting through the fence is a challenge unless you are
    looking for shots of just one player's position. I try to get all the team in my shots
    because I furnish each team member with a CD of the season at the end of the
    season. Switching from first to second or third is more than just swiveling when
    shooting through a diamond-shaped opening smaller than the lens.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/