Adobe in Utah

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited May 30, 2013 in Street and Documentary
DSCF1620-XL.jpg

Many people suggest waiting until you are "done" with a project to share. I just roll with it as it happens. I realize this leaves the project without much "punch." I just can't help myself. Maybe it is because I am the neurotic one. CC wanted here. Follow the bloggy blog if you care to learn more. Thank you for looking!
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2013
    This is how I see the image.

i-JzZjBrk-L.jpg
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2013
    I don't think it needs to be B&W unless that supports the rest of the series Ryan is working on. There might be a little extra space at the top of the frame, in this case though it isn't bothersome for me. Generally a nice shot, but as you said not much oomph. I'll try to take a look at the blog for some background at the end of my day.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2013
    michswiss wrote: »
    I don't think it needs to be B&W unless that supports the rest of the series Ryan is working on. There might be a little extra space at the top of the frame, in this case though it isn't bothersome for me. Generally a nice shot, but as you said not much oomph. I'll try to take a look at the blog for some background at the end of my day.

Ryan does not seem to be working in any specific medium (in terms of color).The photos in the series are both color and B/W images and in my view this image does support B/W. The top heaviness of the image may not be bothersome to you but I feel is it distracts from the subject.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2013
    Thank you so much for commenting. It is helpful to understand what others see. I preferred color in this shot because red is a signature color, and I thought the "one, two, three" red hits in the image were rather interesting. I also felt the red ball in the foreground really helped anchor the whole image as our eyes tend to be attracted to red. Agree that the lights in the upper background are distracting. In hindsight I should have raised the camera just a bit to exclude some of it. I haven't tried burning them down to see if it helps, but I don't think it will.

What attracted me to the image was what seems like (to me) a very approachable composition: the pool balls, leading to the arm of the subject, then face, then wall art in the back, next the men on the stairs. It felt a very natural moment, almost posed. Yet this wasn't a posed shot. The subject thought I was just resting the camera on the pool table while I joked with him (he was winning the game by a large margin).

What I do like about lenmole's crop is the leading foreground. The reflection should have been all the way in or all the way out. That's a very good suggestion. Thank you for posting that version. That is the first time in my memory where someone has posted a re-work. I feel honored.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs